recording method

lelahel

Jan 7, 2008
Algiers, Algeria
www.facebook.com
just wanna know the way you record you projects:

by track : i mean track 1 : drums, bass, guitar, vocals etc... track 2 : drums, bass, guitar, vocals etc... track 3 : drums, bass, guitar, vocals etc...

or by instrument : all drums, all basses, all guitars, all vocals etc..

and please explain why
or it depends on the band ( you give them the opportunity to choose )

personally i prefer the "by instrument" method it is easier and will take less time

do all the drums once the mics are set up. major pain in the ass to have to try and get the same sound back after taking it all down. with guitars the amp is usually small enough to leave set up and you can alternate between a day of guitars and a day of vocals. this is just because most vocalist have issues when going for consecutive days, their throats give out and they start to sound bad. so a day inbetween to rest is usually good. but there are some vocalists who wont have a problem, in that case just do it instrument by instrument.

As far as I'm aware most guys record by instrument. Though Joey made a good post a while back about doing things song by song to stop the band from getting so bored. Which I think is a really good way to go IF you have enough inputs, mic's, decent mic pre's etc to be able to do this without repatching stuff all the time.