How do you guys like your drum samples prepared?

mva801

Nov 18, 2009
Scrambled? Over-easy? :)

I uploaded a free snare in another thread ( http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...udes-tcis-separate-room-mics-nice-studio.html ) and it seems people like it, so I'm going to start cutting up all my multi-sampled drums from different sessions and maybe throw them into a cheap sample pack to sell.

Question is this: How does everybody prefer to receive the samples? The first one I did was already processed a little (eq, compression) and was in the Slate fashion with a Z1 (close+o/h), Z3 (close only) and separate rooms.

Would you guys rather get samples that are: Unprocessed, Processed, or get both?

And would you rather get them in the slate type format, or just get separate samples for close, o/h and rooms so you can adjust the level of the o/h?

I figure most of you here kinda know your way around a compressor and eq, so maybe a more raw sample set is the way to go, with separate samples/ tci's of each distance (close, o/h, room) so you can balance them as you see fit?

I like them as unprocessed as possible, myself. :)

I'm not sure about the format (o/h mixed in or not). I'd say both. So one with o/h mixed and one clean.

I figure most of you here kinda know your way around a compressor and eq, so maybe a more raw sample set is the way to go, with separate samples/ tci's of each distance (close, o/h, room) so you can balance them as you see fit?

I would say go with this if you can't do both. However, if you track with nice gear and have some hardware eq/comps that you can use, those would be interesting to have as a lot of people don't have hardware eq/comp and could benefit from those if used sparingly to shape the samples (Like a DBX 160 VU on snare for example or a distressor on Kick). Perhaps just use a bit of comp and some hardware eq's to boost a little of the high end when needed so we don't have to do it in the digital domain where it can sound harsher than the hardware. Then again if the samples sound great raw and they don't need anything then leave them as is for the mixer to sculpt it how he wants. Do it as a tracking engineer would do, get it to sound good right at the source using tools to shape the sound if necessary, but leave all the tweaking, heavy processing and fine tuning to the mixer.

^^^ well nearly all of these would have gone through the analog front end already. They usually get a bit of high end with an API 550 or neve 1081, and a good majority of the time the snare or kick is sent through a dbx160vu for a tiny bit of goodness....

I think I'll stick with a bit less processing as I'll be cutting them up from home, and not really running them back through anything...