How do YOU layer your mixes?

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
Lately I have been struggling with layering the different instruments within a mix. When I am listening to music my ear favours productions with guitars out front then drums, but when I mix my ear tends to prefer drums in front of the guitar/bass both siting even with vox up front the most. I mix till I am happy then reference against a mix I like and I am disapoint.

So how do YOU layer the elements in your mix?

Drums
Guitar/Vox
Bass

Or:

Guitar
Drums/bass
Vox

or any other combo, you get the idea.

Any help will be awesome thanks.

Are you just talking about balance between the instruments as far as one element being more "up front?"

By habit, I usually have the drums and vocals REALLY loud compared to the rest of the mix. Once I try to resolve that I end up losing snare attack, but most of the time can resolve that if I keep tweaking. Realistically you're SUPPOSE to have a balance between every single instrument, which can be a PITA, but then again some people like loud guitars, drums, or vocals or a combination of whatever just because that's what they prefer and it sounds good to them.

hahaha ^ loving your playlist dude! =D

Back to the OP..... I think your biggest problem is that you're thinking about it the wrong way. Just simply DO.

As you said, do what YOUR ears prefer and before long you'll be putting stuff out that is ALL your own. Just because your kick drum is louder than Sneap's Kick in a mix for example does NOT mean you are doing something incorrectly.

It sounds like you're struggling more with EQ, compression, verbs, delays, modulation, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

=D

I like balance. some instruments naturally poke out on their own. And with a proper mix, should have the leeway to do so at any time.