How does PP band sponsorship work?

Tarathur

Queen of the ’Ryche
Sep 20, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Got a question for those in the know. My understanding from talking to folks at the last few PP fests is that in order for a new band to be considered for PP or the pre-show, they have to be sponsored. Firstly, is this correct? And, if so, how does this work? My partner and I would be interested in learning more about this and how the consideration process works.

Thanks much! -j

I'll explain everything in a few months when I start accepting offers. The quick recap is that I essentially choose a list of 20 bands that I want and can mix & match with no hesitation. Once the list is created, I match it up with the sponsor offers to see what works best for me financially and artistically. A sponsor's offer can push a band over the top if I already have interest, but not automatically guarantee them a spot regardless of how good the offer is.

Thanks, Glenn. We appreciate the info, and look forward to learning more. Does this apply to pre-show considerations as well?

-j

Cool, I was wondering about sponsorships for the pre-party. Not that I can afford to sponsor two bands in one year, but yeah, if it stays downstairs, Shane will need to fill seats. :headbang:

Also, to add to Glenn's comments (or maybe clarify), a new band need not have a sponsor to be considered, either.

Witness Orphaned Land last year. After hearing Mabool...at Glenn's insistence, thank you forever for THAT, bud!...I told him I'd be on board if they were.
Time passed.
Therion was booked; I checked with Glenn and sho' 'nuff, as per my list of potential 'sponsorees' email to Glenn, I was their sponsor. I was thrilled, but also kinda sad because I thought Orphaned Land must've fallen through.

Then Orphaned Land were announced. With NO sponsor, save Glenn himself. . :headbang: :kickass:

Choosing between Therion and Orphaned Land would have been like choosing between two different kinds of caviar. :heh:

Pellaz said:
Cool, I was wondering about sponsorships for the pre-party. Not that I can afford to sponsor two bands in one year, but yeah, if it stays downstairs, Shane will need to fill seats. :headbang:

Also, to add to Glenn's comments (or maybe clarify), a new band need not have a sponsor to be considered, either.

Witness Orphaned Land last year. After hearing Mabool...at Glenn's insistence, thank you forever for THAT, bud!...I told him I'd be on board if they were.
Time passed.
Therion was booked; I checked with Glenn and sho' 'nuff, as per my list of potential 'sponsorees' email to Glenn, I was their sponsor. I was thrilled, but also kinda sad because I thought Orphaned Land must've fallen through.

Then Orphaned Land were announced. With NO sponsor, save Glenn himself. . :headbang: :kickass:

Choosing between Therion and Orphaned Land would have been like choosing between two different kinds of caviar. :heh:
Yes, we strongly wanted to sponsor Orphaned Land and had been talking about it for over a year, but we were needed elsewhere and thought OL was out. So, really, the sponsorship thing is allocated to where it's needed most and not every band will need a sponsor to complete their deal.

Thanks, guys! This is helpful stuff to learn. My partner and I are newbies to this. We are really excited about being on this year's sampler and want to learn the ropes, so that when our CD is out, we know what to do and who to talk to in order to be considered. Granted, we're looking down the road a bit, but it's good to know the process up front.

Thanks again, all!

-j