How does the guitar, ect. effect tone?

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
Now obviously the kind of guitar has an important role in creating the tone of a song. I was just wondering how much, and what are the biggest and most important things that shape tact? :D

I will admit, unfortunately I have an Epiphone Special II. It, for the most part, sounds like dirty socks. In my defense I got it a long time ago when I didn't know anything about guitars/metal. (not that I do now) I am looking for a new one though, and have heard people gawk at the active > passive ups thing. I would like a guitar with EMG's, preferably an LTD, Ibanez, or Schecter. But I almost bought one without active ups but it had upgraded 500k pots, what would the difference between those things be?

I think the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1, black with yellow bindings looks sick as fuck. It also has SD Blackouts which sounds very similiar to EMG but some people say it sounds better. I use ESP Eclipse with EMG 81/60 and it sounds amazing if u want that sharp mid-heavy djent sound like I The Breather. I also have a LTD MH-1000NT with SD '59 and JB. The JB pickup sounds good but a bit more muddy with high gain than the EMG 81 does. I would really go for active pick ups if u want a modern metal sound and probably avoid a Floyd rose trem, it's a pain in the ass to change the tuning and it's just not worth it imo.

Disclaimer: I am not an end-all expert on guitars and tone. But here's my input: there's a lot in a guitar that will affect its tone. Its construction, wood choices (and combinations of woods), internal electronics, pickup type and arrangement, strings, scale length... honestly, I couldn't recommend active pickups unless you're planning on playing stuff like rock and metal. In my experience (and the experience of others) passive pickups tend to be more versatile and a bit more 'mellow' when it comes to sound and tone. Also wouldn't recommend a floyd rose or otherwise locking tremolo unless you're really gonna devote the time to take care of it. Like Gujukal said it's a major asspain to change tuning and strings. Again this is just my .02¢ and it all comes from my experience.

I couldn't recommend active pickups unless you're planning on playing stuff like rock and metal. In my experience (and the experience of others) passive pickups tend to be more versatile and a bit more 'mellow' when it comes to sound and tone.

I don't know if i've ever played enough on a guitar with active ups to know that they are or aren't worth it. They certain look bette imo. But thats coming from the owner of a guitar with passives. :bah: I am really looking into getting an LTD MH-1000NT (< holy shit that is beautiful) or a Schecter now that i see the Blackjack, thanks Gujukal. I just really want a solid guitar that i can trust tone wise when it is tuned correctly with new strings.

I don't know if i've ever played enough on a guitar with active ups to know that they are or aren't worth it. They certain look bette imo. But thats coming from the owner of a guitar with passives. :bah: I am really looking into getting an LTD MH-1000NT (< holy shit that is beautiful) or a Schecter now that i see the Blackjack, thanks Gujukal. I just really want a solid guitar that i can trust tone wise when it is tuned correctly with new strings.

It depends on the music you're going to be playing. I got dual actives in my Agile multiscale because I mainly play rock and metal related stuff with it, but I have passives in my Ibanez because actives sound too hot and scratchy in it. It's all about preference and taste and intended use.

but I have passives in my Ibanez because actives sound too hot and scratchy in it. It's all about preference and taste and intended use.

Now that is what I am worried about with active pickups, i don't want a scratchy tone. Do you think that people can get too worried about what their podfarm chain looks like and they need to focus on the equipment being used more sometimes?

Now that is what I am worried about with active pickups, i don't want a scratchy tone. Do you think that people can get too worried about what their podfarm chain looks like and they need to focus on the equipment being used more sometimes?

Yes, and vice versa. Obviously with the electronic nature of electric guitars you're gonna have some level of hum. But if your guitar is well-built, generally hum, hiss and scratch aren't a problem.