How does the oddball selection work?

ICEDEARTHFAN

IN MEMORY.....
Sep 24, 2008
Northeast Alabama
I know we get 1 of these each year,but I'm curious what factors go into selecting "that" band?
For example,you got DSO 2 years ago.You got/had/have no more Arcturus this year and then replace them with Ihshan.
Would a thrash band ever fit the "oddball" category like say........Annihilator,or does it have to be a mix of several genres of rock/metal before you call it the oddball band?
I'm serious in my question,not just for Brent either.I'm a big fan of them and would love to see them at this fest.We may be the only 2 that want them there but I have to try.
But I also am just interested in how you get to your choice no matter who it is.It's fun to sit here and wonder who you are going to get next and from which realm(s) of rock they will come from.

One of the following is what happens:

1. I sit down with my team of advisors and give them ballots. We listen to tunes while drinking a few beers and whittle it down to realistic choices. Once that happens, we do a blind vote first. Then, we proceed with a public vote with a round of explanations. We then number them according to preference. We give each band double the amount of total votes and throw them into a hat. We then have a blind draw and winner takes all.

2. I go with my gut.

One of the following is what happens:

1. I sit down with my team of advisors and give them ballots. We listen to tunes while drinking a few beers and whittle it down to realistic choices. Once that happens, we do a blind vote first. Then, we proceed with a public vote with a round of explanations. We then number them according to preference. We give each band double the amount of total votes and throw them into a hat. We then have a blind draw and winner takes all.

2. I go with my gut.

I think my favorite gut selection from you so far has been Mustasch.They were AWESOME!!!!!!
Would love to see them again

I think my favorite gut selection from you so far has been Mustasch.They were AWESOME!!!!!!
Would love to see them again

Mine too. While I love Volbeat, Mustasch's performance is not only one of my favorites from the fest I've seen but one of my faves of any live performance I've seen. The fact that no one really knew about them beforehand, the crowd then going apeshit for their performance and finally, the crowd chanting their name loudly once the curtains closed was just an unbelievable experience to witness.

Mine too. While I love Volbeat, Mustasch's performance is not only one of my favorites from the fest I've seen but one of my faves of any live performance I've seen. The fact that no one really knew about them beforehand, the crowd then going apeshit for their performance and finally, the crowd chanting their name loudly once the curtains closed was just an unbelievable experience to witness.

I know everyone was praising Glenn and he was giving hi-fives to everyone down at the rail.You are right,the whole set and crowd reaction will be somthing I never forget.

IIRC, one year, the 'Oddball" was Pink Cream 69 . .so it has nothing to do with theatricality or weird things.

I think there was some debate that year about whether Pink Cream 69 or Orphaned Land was the oddball. Presently, the core "progressive" audience has probably expanded to include a band like Orphaned Land, to the point where they wouldn't be considered oddball anymore. Pink Cream 69's melodic hard rock / metal is probably a little more "oddball" for the core audience at this point, so it's clearer in retrospect which band was more the oddball, but was not as clear at the time, if I recall.

These days, a band like Orphaned Land is the norm. A band like Darkwater is more the oddball.::shrug::

I think there was some debate that year about whether Pink Cream 69 or Orphaned Land was the oddball

I get the feeling that y'all think about this "Oddball" thing a lot more strictly than Glenn actually does. I'm pretty sure there isn't a list of ProgPower Commandments that contains 'Thou shalt have one (and only one!) designated oddball per year'. These days more than ever Glenn seems mindful of finding the most beneficial balance between the fresh and new with the old and reliable, so I doubt he lets himself be much constrained by an arbitrary rule born of historical artifact.

Neil

Also, from what Glenn has said it also has been what he calls the "Glenn Pick", so I wouldn't say there's a particular type of criteria, such as being "out there" or in PC69's case not as heavy as the rest of the bill.

These days, a band like Orphaned Land is the norm. A band like Darkwater is more the oddball.::shrug::

Wow, you seem to know a lot about ProgPower...

How many times have you been the fest out of curiosity? I'm sure "these days" are still a minority example at the festival... You know, we're going to 12 this year...

Wow, you seem to know a lot about ProgPower...

How many times have you been the fest out of curiosity? I'm sure "these days" are still a minority example at the festival... You know, we're going to 12 this year...

Probably another in a long list of people who think because every "prog" band isn't a direct Dream Theater wannabe that there isn't much prog, when I'd say this year it's about even between prog and power.

I get the feeling that y'all think about this "Oddball" thing a lot more strictly than Glenn actually does. I'm pretty sure there isn't a list of ProgPower Commandments that contains 'Thou shalt have one (and only one!) designated oddball per year'. These days more than ever Glenn seems mindful of finding the most beneficial balance between the fresh and new with the old and reliable, so I doubt he lets himself be much constrained by an arbitrary rule born of historical artifact.

Neil

I agree there is no reason to feel constrained about future lineups based on the way people have viewed past lineups. However, early on, at least from 2001 - 2004, there seemed to be something of a general consensus that the "oddball" bands those years were Nightingale, Devin Townsend, Mercenary, Into Eternity. None of which would likely be considered oddball anymore, interestingly enough. So in 2005, the "oddball" concept perhaps broke down a bit, because there was some debate on who the true oddball was. Then, in subsequent years, as Glenn started adhering less strictly to the traditional definitions of "prog" and "power" metal (probably concurrent with a general broadening of the musical tastes of the prog / power audience), the idea of there being an "oddball" band became less prevalent, to the point where I don't think I recall anyone discussing it the last couple years.

Oddball bands have likely been some of my favorites in all of ProgPower's history:

Freak Kitchen
Mustasch
Mercenary (granted, when they played the second time they were more legitimately known)
Orphaned Land (see above)
Oceans of Sadness
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Raintime

early on, at least from 2001 - 2004, there seemed to be something of a general consensus that the "oddball" bands those years were Nightingale, Devin Townsend, Mercenary, Into Eternity. None of which would likely be considered oddball anymore, interestingly enough. So in 2005, the "oddball" concept perhaps broke down a bit, because there was some debate on who the true oddball was. Then, in subsequent years, as Glenn started adhering less strictly to the traditional definitions of "prog" and "power" metal (probably concurrent with a general broadening of the musical tastes of the prog / power audience), the idea of there being an "oddball" band became less prevalent, to the point where I don't think I recall anyone discussing it the last couple years.

^this

As the fest turns more toward doom/death/black, the traditional prog/power bands are in the minority. I don't think tastes are broadening so much as a different audience is being sought.

As the fest turns more toward doom/death/black, the traditional prog/power bands are in the minority.

I think you need to find a dictionary, and use it to look up what the word "minority" actually means. Because you clearly have no idea what it means.

Either that, or you got lost on the Internet and intended to post this at the Maryland Deathfest forum.

Neil

Or you could look up the word traditional. Because it's quite apparent you don't have a clue to that definition. Either/or.