Next year's oddball

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Discussions/lists galore have been on here about next years lineups. But often they just a list of the prog/power metal bands people want to see in almsot any slot. I'm curious who people would like to see be -the- oddball band next year. At this point.. just having growls doesn't seem to make a band oddball anymore.

My vote right now is for Witchcraft. While they are a heavy dose of hard rock, they have enough metal in them to qualify in my mind.

If not Witchraft, then OSI. Hell, think of it this way. Fates Warning won't reply to Glenn about ProgPower. But if he had OSI... and Redemption... >_>

Can any band that sports Dream Theater members be considered an "oddball" at a Prog festival?

My choice... Primordial.

I saw them at Heathen Crusade in January, and they were one of the best bands I've ever seen. That was their only US appearance, so there's definitely an exclusivity factor. Their intensity would definitely convert the disbelievers.

Zod

Creeps said:
Scar Symmetry would be my 1st choice.
SCAR SYMMETRY would not only be the oddball band, but also one of the most anticipated bands. But i do have a question why this post and PROGPOWER VII hasn't even happened???? Just a thought.

Pyramaze51 said:
SCAR SYMMETRY would not only be the oddball band, but also one of the most anticipated bands. But i do have a question why this post and PROGPOWER VII hasn't even happened???? Just a thought.

If they would be a "most anticipated" band, how can they be an oddball band?

If Mercenary did well enough the first time to get an elevated spot and it's considered proper for the festival, how can anything in that general style be considered an oddball choice?

Get Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, that would be an oddball band. :p

... and more to the point, can anyone tell me why everybody is drooling over Scar Symmetry? :D

booB said:
If Ram-Zet were the oddball band, I would pee myself with excitement.

If Ram-Zet were the oddball band I would say... "ummm, who's that?"

...and I would also not stand next to booB while he pees himself. :Smug:

LOL - j/k booB - please don't send Mr Norris after me.

tiamat, my friends. Tiamat. How cool would THAT be to see a band like that? That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

General Zod said:
Can any band that sports Dream Theater members be considered an "oddball" at a Prog festival?

My choice... Primordial.

I saw them at Heathen Crusade in January, and they were one of the best bands I've ever seen. That was their only US appearance, so there's definitely an exclusivity factor. Their intensity would definitely convert the disbelievers.

Zod

Yeah. I considered that. But for some reason it still felt like it would be an oddball. Don't know why.

Blood,12012,Dir en grey,moonsorrow,Finntroll,Elvenking,endless grey,kalmah,D'espairsRay,Korpiklaani,Hybrid children,Kill the romance,Phantasmagoria ,moi dix mois,boom boom satellites , Hight and Mighty color, Hanzel und Gretyl are some of the "Oddball" bands i can think of now

You know what else would be cool; to get a band in from somewhere that nobody usually gets bands from. For example, I'm currently checking out some videos by a Czech performer called Ales Brichta (http://www.brichta.cz/video.html) who apparently has been around for some years yet nobody I know even knows of him/them. Wouldn't that be cool to have a pure and true "oddball" like that where we ALL discover something new? Personally, I love Czech music (I don't care if they don't sing in English) and it would be a real treat to be exposed to someone cool like that. Even a Japanese band would be killer.

It was sorta like when In Extremo played NJ Metalfest some years ago and brought the place to the ground with a killer, German language performance. One of my best metal memories, right there! Let's do it! Whaddya say, Glenn?