how fast can you pick?

I think everyone except for Matt will be accused of lying on this thread.

Anyway, 16th notes-250bpm
maybe a tiny bit faster but I just tried it.

It's kind of tricky to see how I fast I tap and sweep, not very good at economy or just downpicking

I don't really think picking's that big a deal. I can pick as fast as I need to most of the time, and when I find something I can't pick, I practice until I can. That's really the only thing that drives me to work on picking speed. *shrug* I have speed and nothing good to do with it, so I get a lot more out of working on other things.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I don't really think picking's that big a deal. I can pick as fast as I need to most of the time, and when I find something I can't pick, I practice until I can. That's really the only thing that drives me to work on picking speed. *shrug* I have speed and nothing good to do with it, so I get a lot more out of working on other things.

You are right. Its not so important how fast you can pick. Many guitarist can pick fast, but they like to play with style and play "not so fast things".. Well im keyboardist and i dont know anything about guitar playing so i shut up and leave you alone....

OfSinsAndShred said:

I can understand that you are expressing your views on picking speed, but what I really asked for in this thread is for what bpm anyone who plays guitar and pick at, for anyone that knows what bpm they pick. That's all.

Sorry for getting your thread off topic, man. Maybe I'll find my pick speed after I get done with some stuff tonight, lol. Now I'm actually kind of curious. I usually leave the fast-picked stuff to my friend who's a Dream Theater fan. Those Petrucci fanatics have some crazy right hand action.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Sorry for getting your thread off topic, man. Maybe I'll find my pick speed after I get done with some stuff tonight, lol. Now I'm actually kind of curious. I usually leave the fast-picked stuff to my friend who's a Dream Theater fan. Those Petrucci fanatics have some crazy right hand action.

yeah lol, I'm not a huge petrucci fan but he's definitely influencing me to improve my alternate picking. Right now I can max out at around 170 bpm 16th notes, not very cleanly either.

Well I can do 16th note triplets at 152 bpm pretty cleanly, thats about 912 notes a minute. I bet Michael Angelo does between 1200-1400 notes per minute cause he's a lot faster than I am.

Mike7771 said:
Well I can do 16th note triplets at 152 bpm pretty cleanly, thats about 912 notes a minute. I bet Michael Angelo does between 1200-1400 notes per minute cause he's a lot faster than I am.

useless guy (angelo)..... not really :D

im not a very strict alternate picker by any means......but playing 3 note per sting scale patterns and chromatic runs i can get 16ths at about 190 before any difficulty. Economy pickingboosts my speed a lot as i can do the same or similar runs at around 210. I usually phrase sweeps in 16th note triplets which (depending on the arpeggio shape im using) can get up to 150 bpm. Tapping and legato are where im much faster and i can fluently nail 16th note runs at around 240 and 16th triplet runs at around 200

I don't think Michael Angelo is that good. He's like the most cliche metal guitarist, except he's not really clean in his playing. In the Speed Kills vid, he does some pretty crazy upside-down left hand fingering as well as the crazy add hand-switch fingering thing, but none of it was really clean. His sweeping is way inferior to that of uhh, lemme pick someone... Jason Becker, Vai, Satch even, and how could I forget Matt fuckin Moliti! Angelo's normal picking just isn't "in the pocket." I did like parts of the background track though! I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I've heard way better guitarists. I just think it's odd when people are basically bowing down to the guy.

Hm...How fast do I pick...Uhh...Not all that fast :) My fretting fingers move faster than my picking hand...So you can probably imagine how much of a pain in the ass that is...I really gotta work on my technique, cuz as of now, it's pretty much the height of mediocrity.

I dont know about straight alternate picking with no left hand work, but I got up to 170 cleanly doing chromatics and 180 it got really sloppy, still working on it though!!!!