How hard is it to get finnish citizenship?

Finnish prisons? I've never heard...
I guess, there're no criminals in Finland, so I suspect, there aren't any prisons too.
The most likely, all Finnish criminals are sent to Sweden.

Wow thats so strange..but great.

I feel like a tourist with all my questions but you've all been very nice in answering, thanks. :) I have more but maybe I should just read a book instead of bothering you guys? ;)

Dantven said:
... maybe I should just read a book instead of bothering you guys? ;)
Oh, yes, you should read books. :Smokedev: You'll never get any serious answer on any forum. :Smokedev: So save your questions for yourself. :Smokedev: Nobody will never answer. :Smokedev:

- And btw, how many years have you been living in Finland? :Smokedev:
- (silence) :D

It´s kind of hard to get into prison in Finland, at least for a period of time longer than one night (the "getting sober night" in jail). You´re more likely to get fined than to get a "real" prison sentence. And the sentences are usually very very short. And the new finnish prisons... well... I wouldn´t call them prisons, they´re sort of the same style that the previously described swedish ones. The windows are made of normal glass. The rooms are big, you do have nice furniture and, yes a big tv and maybe even a dvd-player. Food is great. Then we have those prisons which are called "avolaitos", "an open prison", where you live in a sort of a small colony, like you´d be living a normal life. You have a house and you might even get to keep your children there. You just can´t go out of the area. But you can get vacations for that :) And when you´re in prison in Finland, you can go to work daily, they pay you food plus something like 5€ per hour. Or you you can educate yourself. For example you can pass the ylioppilastutkinto (highschool graduate degree) while being in prison, or study some university stuff. I think that all this prison stuff here in Finland is sick! :) And I really don´t understand howcome we still have such a small amount of crimes...

Since I am going through this getting-the-residence-permit-and-all-kinds-of-papers I can tell you that you can get the health care and everything without the citizenship. At least in my case (I came from an EU country), but I doubt that it would be any different with americans.
I am already registered at a police station as a resident of the country, now I just have to get a sotu and a Kela card then off to find a job (I'm baby sitting in Parainen atm but only till november).
So getting the residence permit is no big deal, the nationality on the other hand... well that can take a while ;)

Thanks, i'm gonna need it. hehe

So I guess residency would work for me then. I wonder how hard it is to find a job.. or does the government tell you where to work...?

I haven't never heard there would be any tests held to immigrants. I think the residency will work for you if you start studying or stuff like that. Finding a job may be a little harder but you don't really have to work here cos you'll probably get more money by not getting a job. The Finnish wellfare system really works... :D We have a progressive taxation system so the more you get paid from a job the more you have to pay taxes. The whole wellfare system is built on the tax revenues. To put this straight: stay home and let the rich and educated work for you. :D

ok, well from my understanding, in finnish prison, you can have a playstation! a playstation! that beats the states. as for the residence/citizen thing... im not sure if you can get residence permits after the initial 4 years. im not there yet, but ill be filing for citizenship when i do. its not hard persay to get residence, but you do need a reason. a letter from an employer will help a lot. just make sure they don't have a reason to deny you. they WILL bust your balls for a little while. i guess also that if you are a US citizen, and take the forms into the espoo police station, you can get the permit that day. once you do, you get all the normal citizen rights like work permit and health care. it's a good place to be but damn cold right now.

There is a Finnish prison along the freeway leading from Vantaa to HKI. I pass it all the time. :p

I just moved here from Canada to live with my girfriend. (I'm proposing to her very soon actually). Best bet is to get yourself a Finnish girlfriend. Works for me. Now I just need to find a job... :ill:

I know very little about the Finnish language. I have a few books out of a local library and am learning more and more every day. I plan to apply for schooling actually at the U of HKI.

I want move out of here. its nice on summer but in now in winter here is so fucking cold. Now -25´C. I can`t go out or my brain freeze (if i had brains).

emot17.gif