Finnish Helpers

Jan 29, 2007
Lansing, Michigan
Hi I'm Virgil. My father's family came from Laihia, Finland and I have always been very interested in Finland. This led to me reading The Kalevala (in English), as well as heavily researching Finnish history. In fact a couple of weeks ago I gave a presentation to at my college about the ways that Finland shaped J.R.R. Tolkien's writing! My obsession with Finland even stretched into buying Tuntematon Sotilas to watch on Finnish Independence Day.

Anyways, I have been studying the Finnish language this year and I am going to stay in Finland for a little while this summer. I might travel back next summer for a language immersion program also.

But my question is if any Finns would like to talk to me on AIM or MSN about Finnish culture, places to go when I am in Finland and most importantly, help tutor me with my Finnish skills. I am a foreign language student at my university so I learn fairly quickly, and won't be too bothersome. If you decide to but become busy I will respect your time. PM me if you are interested.

Hi, you might do well to look on Korpiklaani's forum - they have many interesting discussions about such things over there! :)