Why do Finnish ppl need to learn Swedish?

The-Petoniemi said:
Since when has swedish been -cooler- than finnish... It sounds gay, no offense.
German is cool though.
lol, who said SWEDISH was cooler than Finnish!
I said.....More people may speak Swedish (I use it everyday now), but Finnish is cooler. Maybe it was how I wrote it.

Ps: Swedish doesn't sound gay....

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
I'd rather learn Swedish instead of Finnish, the first 1 is cooler IMO. Although I "know" more Finnish than Swedish, 'cause I can say...:

PERKELE!
See? It's not always about you , S.M :rolleyes:

I was trying to give postitives to both sides of the language. Swedish is more useful, because much more people speak it. And, Finnish sounds cooler :p
But def, Swedish is much more usful!

I'll teach you something right now....(swedish)
Mer ol! (o has two dots on top)

Translation: More beer!
Very important to know when you go to sweden someday

Me? Jag talar inte svenska, jag tycker inte om svenska.... Enough? I'm not even going to go to Sweden ever in my life. Or well.... I could go to Sweden when I'm 18, and there go to a bar and say 'Mer öl!' but that would be a fucking stupid idea, there are bars in Finland... Why can't people just learn English? I'm not going to study all the other languages in the world just because someone else can't speak english or finnish. I'm already studying 4 languages, swedish being one of them, but against my own will.

Swedish might still be more useful than Finnish, but German is way more useful than those two(since there are over 92 million people in Europe that speak German), I'm still holding on to that.

*A cute smiling face, just to make things happier. :)*

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
I'd rather learn Swedish instead of Finnish, the first 1 is cooler IMO. Although I "know" more Finnish than Swedish, 'cause I can say...:

PERKELE!

Actually, meant it to her.....(or him, who knows)

The-Petoniemi said:
Me? Jag talar inte svenska, jag tycker inte om svenska.... Enough? I'm not even going to go to Sweden ever in my life. Or well.... I could go to Sweden when I'm 18, and there go to a bar and say 'Mer öl!' but that would be a fucking stupid idea, there are bars in Finland... Why can't people just learn English? I'm not going to study all the other languages in the world just because someone else can't speak english or finnish. I'm already studying 4 languages, swedish being one of them, but against my own will.

Swedish might still be more useful than Finnish, but German is way more useful than those two(since there are over 92 million people in Europe that speak German), I'm still holding on to that.

*A cute smiling face, just to make things happier. :)*
I agree with you one-hundreth percent. And, that was my point of this thread. I don't think Swedish should be required to be taught in Finland. Also, another question I had in mind while posting this thread was, why can't just all the swed's in Finland learn Finnish.
Swedish should be an option in my opinion.

Yea, I know that sucks we have to learn swedish. You may have read about the time when Sweden had Finland under its control. I think that we have to learn swedish has become as an result of that. Somebody said, that Finnish schools are extremely tough. Basic school is hack of a easy thing. High Schools are of course tougher, but not that hard.

Jag tycker inte om svenska, det är dumt det vi måste läser svenska ;(

:D

SoChapter said:
You may have read about the time when Sweden had Finland under its control. I think that we have to learn swedish has become as an result of that.

:D

But that is history. Finland is it's own independent country, and should have nothing to do with Sweden. It may be true that 6% is Finland are Swedish, but they should repsect Finland and learn the language. That 6% is making 94% suffer!

There's also a small percentage of german people in Belgium (I think it's 2% or so...) and still we have to learn german at school. It sucks but there's nothing you can change. I guess it's the same thing with Swedish in Finland

Saartje said:
Guys, be pleased you only have to learn ONE other language. I have to learn three (French, German and English) and I'm not able to drop one.
So be happy you live in Finland and not in Belgium.:rolleyes:

I am originally from Belgium, but from the french speaking part, and here I was obliged to learn either Dutch or English for the 2 first high school year. Then I could choose to drop one. And German was just an option in my school. But I learned the three of them. Thought it would be usefull, and it has been actually.

I live in Finland, my motherlanguage is Swedish and I speak Finnish too.
It's damn much easier to grow up knowing Swedish since you have to speak and listen to Finnish all the time so after a while you can speak both languages perfectly. Comparing Swedish and Finnish grammar there's no doubt that Finnish is harder to learn, comparing with English makes the same thing. I'll start the 9th grade after summer, I've read Finnish since 2nd grade and English since 5th grade and I speak better English :)

Dark_Silence said:
I am originally from Belgium, but from the french speaking part, and here I was obliged to learn either Dutch or English for the 2 first high school year. Then I could choose to drop one. And German was just an option in my school. But I learned the three of them. Thought it would be usefull, and it has been actually.

no doubt that it's useful but if I was allowed to drop one, I would have done that but I don't think there are many Flemish schools were you can drop a language...especially not French.

The problem is that after 6 years of French everybody thinks your French is perfect and then you have to start reading Montesqieu (sorry if it's misspelled) and Balzac and other famous French writers. That's something I find not very useful. It's just boring and you don't learn anything with it. Well I didn't learn anything with it. :erk: I would have prefered more speaking exercises than reading 5 books about World War 2:Smug:

Dunno how it is in other countries?

Wildchild87 said:
or do it the american way and go to war so you dont have to learn the language in the u.s. to get into most college's you have to speak a language but the thing is us americans dont give a fuck about anyone eles and shouldnt have to speak someones language

You're a smart one. I, am half swedish and half american. It's cool how you can go ahead and judge people so accordingly.

umm.... i dont know about this whole... why do people need to learn swedish thing.. but it doesnt madder... you can say this in any language...... CHLIDREN OF BODOM ROCKS!!!

Oh yeah.. I have to learn 3 languages! (portuguese, english and french) But i also can speak finnish and spanish... Now you see..