Why do Finnish ppl need to learn Swedish?

ScandinavianMetal

Exclusive Member
Mar 18, 2006
Sorry I am not writing this in Finnish, but why does Finnish people such as I need to learn Swedish in school? what, 4% of Finland is Swedish. Besides, we go to Sweden, and this is what they say: "Du kan ju inte prata Svenska". There is a huge racist issue in Sweden. The percentage in Finland should learn Finnish! I would appriciate some feedback on the subject. And please, remain this in English. I want more than Finnish people to know about this, and can't we vote against learning Swedish in schools. FInnish schools are extremly tough. Swedish should be an option.

Its part of the liberal education. (Yleissivistys). Some areas are more populated with swedes, like Vaasa. In here, everywhere you go, you will bump into a swede. It is our second language, accept the fact :) And isn't the racist issue the other way? Don't we hate swedes here in Finland?

haha, very true. FInnish education is extremly hard though needing to know the two lanugages, but I can see it is very needed if you do live in places such as Vaasa. Havn't been to Vaasa yet, but I have lot of family there, so I will be going there quite soon I believe.

or do it the american way and go to war so you dont have to learn the language in the u.s. to get into most college's you have to speak a language but the thing is us americans dont give a fuck about anyone eles and shouldnt have to speak someones language

XxScandinavianMedalxX said:
what, 4% of Finland is Swedish
5,6% actually :Smug:
The percentage in Finland should learn Finnish!
They do.
FInnish schools are extremly tough.

Well, as long as one doesn't have to pay to attend, I won't complain.

When I was in high school, I always thought I sucked in swedish, no matter what grades I got. But in the end I guess it was easier than I thought, and I got a good grade of it on my A-levels. Nowadays my swedish a bit rusty, but I still understand most of the written swedish I see. Spoken swedish is a whole other subject :ill: And since my vocabulary and pronunciation suck swedish ass, I won't talk it.

Guys, be pleased you only have to learn ONE other language. I have to learn three (French, German and English) and I'm not able to drop one.
So be happy you live in Finland and not in Belgium.:rolleyes:

Saartje said:
Guys, be pleased you only have to learn ONE other language. I have to learn three (French, German and English) and I'm not able to drop one.
In FInalnd, you need to learn 3 as well. Swedish, Finnish, and English. :loco:

I'd like to learn a European language, Swedish or Finnish would be cool, we only learn English in school here, the only languages you can learn in colleges and stuff is Spanish, Italian, French, and Japanese.

My mother is from England, lol, and she just cant understand me when I speak it with people

Here we have 3 languages that we *must* learn in school...German, French, English. And most people's mothertongue is either Luxembourgish (Lëtzebuergesch; natives) or Portuguese (most immigrants here, and there's lots of them).

Fuck portugese :lol:

I wanna learn Swedish rather than Finnish, because more people speak Swedish. And Swedish is more like dutch, so easier to learn (for me)

Saartje said:

Your all going to hate me now.:lol: We only have to learn one, for me it was French, but we had the option of Spanish or German. I started learning French at 11, I dont understand a word of it, its all shit. Belgium is one of those countries that it depends where you live, to what language you speak. I would like to be able to speak German, because one day I intend to live there.

Lithium said:
Fuck portugese :lol:

I wanna learn Swedish rather than Finnish, because more people speak Swedish. And Swedish is more like dutch, so easier to learn (for me)

haha, true. More people speak Swedish, but Finnish is cooler :headbang:. I use Swedish all the time now

I'd rather learn Swedish instead of Finnish, the first 1 is cooler IMO. Although I "know" more Finnish than Swedish, 'cause I can say...:

PERKELE!