Why do Finnish ppl need to learn Swedish?

I speak both swedish/finnish but I think the more languages you speek the better!
But no one should be forced to learn a language!

Personally,I believe that the more languages you know,the more "human" you are.But of course that's my opinion only.Anyway,if you don't wanna learn Swedish,be a rebel.I am from Albania,a small and poor country in the Balkans,and when there is something at school that I am forced to do even though I may not like it,I drive my teachers crazy(but remember:eek:nly if there is a good reason).As for the toughness of Finnish school,you should know that school is consisted of students,which means that power is in your hands!

But I suggest that you do learn Swedish,and I think you are very lucky,since all great metal bands on this planet are from Finland and Sweden!I wish I could be given the chance to learn both Finnish and Swedish!

LONG LIVE METAL!!!!
:headbang:

Hi everybody! :) Sorry for the intrusion, I'm not finnish, but... I would like to learn finnish language!! but it's impossibleeeee :cry: help! so unlucky...

XxScandinavianMedalxX said:
Sorry I am not writing this in Finnish, but why does Finnish people such as I need to learn Swedish in school? what, 4% of Finland is Swedish. Besides, we go to Sweden, and this is what they say: "Du kan ju inte prata Svenska". There is a huge racist issue in Sweden. The percentage in Finland should learn Finnish! I would appriciate some feedback on the subject. And please, remain this in English. I want more than Finnish people to know about this, and can't we vote against learning Swedish in schools. FInnish schools are extremly tough. Swedish should be an option.

Racist issue? im not a racist for example...and too me it looks like you can speak Swedish good...Then again if you dont like the language you should be able too vote against it or something....

Learning Finnish?

Online Language Courses + Information:

Finnish School
'The Finnish Language' @ Vitual Finland - information on Finnish in general, no proper lessons
'Tavataan taas!' - basic Finnish course w/ information on Finland
Finnish Grammar Bits
'Ymmärrä suomea!' - 'Understand Finnish' - reading comprehension exercise; only in Finnish
Venla's Finnish for Foreigners
Chiugate's Guide to the Finnish Language
Jukka Korpela's 'The Finnish Language'

Dictionaries & the like:

NOTE: Most of these online dictionaries have rather limited vocabularies, but they're useful nonetheless.

Webster's Finnish-English Dictionary
Downloadable dictionary from FreeLang
Verbix - Verb conjugator; conjugates verbs in a number of languages (even Old English)
Mikropuhe Live - Type whatever it is that you want to know how to pronounce in the window, click the 'Kuuntele puhe' button and it'll repeat it back to you. Comes in handy when you forget to order the audio CDs along with the instruction book.
YourDictionary.com Uralic language dictionaries
English to Finnish/Finnish to English Online Dictionary
Travlang's Finnish/English Dictionary
Travlang's English/Finnish Dictionary

'Colorful Metaphors':

The Alternative Finnish Dictionary
Marginaali - Advanced Swearing in Finnish

Book(s):

Teach Yourself: Finnish
by Terttu Leney
ISBN 0-07-145107-2
Available as a book/CD package or the book can be bought separately.

**If you're using Windows you can get the special characters by holding down the ALT key and typing '0228' for 'ä' and '0246' for 'ö'.

Hope that helps . . .

here in canada there is like 7 million of people that speak french(i'm one of them) and we are obliged to learn english.. but the english people from canada are not oblige to learn french...I really find that it suck. They don't give a fuck about us..and that's a part of why we wan't to leave Canada.

QUEBEC POWER(quebec is the province of the canada where are the 7 million of french people)
FINLAND POWER TOOO!!!

I also wan't to learn finnish but there's no really finnish lesson in here.

Keep'on rocking

I believe the originator of this post did not consider the fact that the 4% of finnish swedes also have a compulsory program of finnish in their schools...

There ya have it. It's good to know that shit anyway, when you go to scandinavia. It helps a lot in Norway and Denmark, too. And of course, in Sweden.

Miss S

I am dutch but i can understand most of what a swedish friend of mine says. Once you know the basic words you can figure the rest out.

How ever i speak dutch he just puts his :zombie: up lol.

Ow and before i go

PERKELE!!!

People, like my grandmother, uses Swedish every single day and she's almost 80 years old and she can't speak so good finnish because her relatives has all been finnish swedish for hundreds of generations. If she get's an official paper from the bank for example in finnish she doesn't understand it. And I've been to a swedish school and we had to learn finnish there. Those, who speak finnish as their mother tongue are not the only ones who are forced to learn the other language. I needed to learn finnish too.. And when Finland got independent, Finland made a law that Finland stays as a two languaged country.

People, like my grandmother, uses Swedish every single day and she's almost 80 years old and she can't speak so good finnish because her relatives has all been finnish swedish for hundreds of generations. If she get's an official paper from the bank for example in finnish she doesn't understand it. And I've been to a swedish school and we had to learn finnish there. Those, who speak finnish as their mother tongue are not the only ones who are forced to learn the other language. I needed to learn finnish too.. And when Finland got independent, Finland made a law that Finland stays as a two languaged country.
Yeah, that's true. It sucks to study swedish.

Fucking no all of them don't! Go to Ahvenanmaa and try to speak finnish, it's fucking impossible! About 15% of them will understand you! I mean you could go to Canary Islands and the percentage would almost be the same... Same goes with the cities in the westcoast of Finland, I always hate all the swedish language signs and stuff..

Sorry I am not writing this in Finnish, but why does Finnish people such as I need to learn Swedish in school? what, 4% of Finland is Swedish. Besides, we go to Sweden, and this is what they say: "Du kan ju inte prata Svenska". There is a huge racist issue in Sweden. The percentage in Finland should learn Finnish! I would appriciate some feedback on the subject. And please, remain this in English. I want more than Finnish people to know about this, and can't we vote against learning Swedish in schools. FInnish schools are extremly tough. Swedish should be an option.
True. I never liked Swedish, luckily I only have 2 more courses and then it's done. No more for me, thank you.

Its part of the liberal education. (Yleissivistys). Some areas are more populated with swedes, like Vaasa. In here, everywhere you go, you will bump into a swede. It is our second language, accept the fact :) And isn't the racist issue the other way? Don't we hate swedes here in Finland?
A lot of finns would like the second language gone, swedish is a dying language, it should go to Sweden to die and let us alone.

swedish are gay :loco:
:headbang:

Jag talar inte Sverige.

Swedisg people are cocksuckers!!

Well well, I don´t believe that all of are:loco: but I really hate Swedish.
Why EARTH we finnish people are studying it in our native land??

If you live in foreign country, you study this country´s language(s).
I think that´s a fair thing.
Let´s think: random dude (maybe Russian) moves to Canada.
Now: 'cause he/she is outlandish everybody Canadian child studies Russian.
Eh, no way, you probably think.
Well, compare that with Finland. Oops!
:rolleyes:

I can understand, and sympathise with you guys' being pissed off that you have to learn another country's language in your own country, but I envy the way your education system emphasises the importance of learning languages other than your own, and that you start learning them at a young age. We don't have that in England, and I hate the way many English people seem to think they don't need to learn anyone else's language, as everyone should speak English - that really sucks! I'm hoping to go and live in Helsinki one day, but I'm having to teach myself Finnish as there are no courses for it where I live. I've been to Helsinki several times and the Finns' English-language skills are really impressive.

I didnt like studying swedish, part of because I was so pissed off that we had to study it and part because I didnt like my teachers. Now, in upper-secondary school Ive actually started to like it, or better said tolerate it, because our teacher is great. And its kind of cool to know other languages than just english. I was in Italy for 3 weeks this summer and everyone was like woah when I told I can speak swedish too. And they were saying all the time how good my english was.
So I really appreciate that part in our education system, that we have to start to study english so young and swedish later. Its always nice to hear someone to say my english is good, especially from nativespeaker.

Whats frustrating is, that we study swedish even if all of us dont want to and swedish people dont even know that swedish is finlands other official language and we have to study it. Ive heard in some news or something that not all swedish people even know that finland used to be part of sweden :erk:

Well there are 300 000 Swedish speaking Finns in Finland :lol: Also, I am raised with Finnish but because of the place where i live i had to go to a Swedish school so i actually have 2 "native languages". I like Finnish more for some reason but i talk fluent Swedish. The Swedish speaking Finns also have to learn Finnish and they complain equally much about how gay and hard it is...

Also...the 1 thing that sucks being raised with Finnish is that my English pronounciation sucks balls.

EDIT: And for gods sake people who think Swedish speaking Finn and a Swedish person is totally the same thing or anything like that are fucking retarded.

I think people hate studying Swedish because it's compulsorily. I would have preferred studying some other language than Swedish because it's not that useful language in global world. I mean when I talk with Swedish people we always use English so all those study hours were pretty for nothing. I feel that German or French studies would have been more beneficial (of course those are options in school also but I studied so much science that I really couldn't fit lot of language courses to my schedule so I never study them enough to be fluent).