Finnish folk suggestions

Yicjdic

Dec 8, 2002
Santa Cruz, CA
www.geocities.com
Im interested in hearing some good Finnish folk music, with similar elements and instrumentation to the folk elements Moonsorrow incorporates into their songs. I already have heard Tenhi and I think they are very good, but not exactly what i'm looking for. Also a band called gjallarhorn from Finland that was more what I was looking for. So...any takers? Lay it on me.

ouagadougou said:
this is true.
their music is kinda terrible, though..

My Kantele (acoustic) by Amorphis. it's all you need.

Have it...in fact independent of this post i just listened to Elegy on my commute today for the first time in 4 months. Its a very good song but I MUST HAVE MORE!!! :hotjump:

Lolita Vampiriá said:
Something very very folkish: Värttinä (female vocals in Finnish).

I listened to about 10 mp3's on their site...some of it was pretty good some of it was really cheesy/poppy. I am looking for something more melodic than that. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Kushantaiidan said:
Oh golly.

Finntroll, Cruachan, Gåte, Hagalaz Runedance, Haggard, Gathering of Celtic Women, HEL, Alamaailman Vasarat.

Guud shit...I already ordered CDs from Cruachan, Haggard, and Im considering whether to get Hagalaz Runedance's Volven. Keep 'em coming...anything with a mouth harp perhaps besides HEL?

Ulla is pretty damn fine......

As are Anni, Santtu, Loli, Maria...... etc.

Hell, I'm sure even Lasse and Sami would be amenable if you asked them the right way. :Smug:

Post Edit:

*Reads beyond the title of the thread....*

Oh, Ummm.......

My bad. :oops:

Just go with the suggestiong give so far.

*Hides in a corner*

Kimmo Pohjonen http://www.kimmopohjonen.com

He's a strange, strange accordionist. Has won the "Folk Musician of the Year" in Finland many times. Although his music isn't really the purest folk anymore. It's more like electronic-ambient-neofolk, or something like that ;)

I really recommend checking out this fellow. Especially Kluster and Kalmuk. The latter features fifteen members of a chamber orchestra, two percussionists and Kimmo with his accordion and voice.

The sound samples are hidden behind the Recordings link.

I would like to thank everyone who mentioned Tenhi in this thread. I went to the Prophecy label's site and listened to 'Yota'. Fucking wow. Oh, wait. That doesn't even come close to showing my enthusiasm.

FUCKING WOW.

There... that's much better. This sounds like something Empyrium would do had they not disbanded. I'm floored.

Spike said:
Ulla is pretty damn fine......

As are Anni, Santtu, Loli, Maria...... etc.

Hell, I'm sure even Lasse and Sami would be amenable if you asked them the right way. :Smug:

I love the way your little cute mind works :p.

But something makes me bit worried... You mentioned everyone else with their real names but not mine :erk:. But it's okay since no one ever uses my real name here in UM (except ante).