Finnish language acts

Snowy Owl

OSA Co-founder
Sep 12, 2005
A tree in Middletown, PA
Hey friends,

On a side note, glad you got your package!

Anyway, seeing that Tuomas guested with a Finnish language band, I was wondering if there are any other Finnish language bands that I can find out there. I have been trying to seek out acts who sing in languages other than English. So far I have discovered Concerto Moon from Japan. Any groups from Finland that sing in Finnish?

Thanks!

You can start with these:

Teräsbetoni (~Steel concrete)
Made it huge in Finland this year with their debut album "Metallitotuus" (Metal Truth) which has stayed on Top40 now 29 weeks, current position is #32. Some say they are a Manowar clone, but it would make it too simple, they have their own touch.

[URL="http://www.mokoma.com]Mokoma[/URL] - a band who were kicked out from EMI in 2002 after two albums but the guys did not give up. They put up a label of their own and released two big success albums since then. The latest "Tämän maailman ruhtinaan hovi" (The Mansion of This World's Prince) went #2 on Top40 when released, and stayed on the charts 13 weeks.

What about Moonsorrow? Weren't they the band I almost bought in Helsinki? I still haven't gotten around to listening to any clips. What do you think of them?

As for othe languages, there's always Tierra Santa. Real heavy Spanish band, but quite melodic. I love them.

Moonsorrow is a band who have heavy blackish/doom sound with folkish influences. They call their music heathen or pagan metal, but I have seen them described troll-metal as well. Their songs are usually very long, like 10 - 20 mins including sections of sonds from nature; owl's anf other birds singing, wind and storm sound etc.

Latest album "Verisäkeet" 2004 (Blood Verses) went #16 on Top40 but dropped off after only 2 weeks. That'd be their best achievement on the charts, but they have a kind of cult following here and in some other countries.

No clips available on their website at the moment, their records are available in many webshops like Nightwish Shop

This piece of news from their website may be interesting to you who live near minneapolis:
Sept 18th :: Moonsorrow has been confirmed for their first ever U.S. show. They will be appearing alongside Primordial, Thyrfing etc at Heathen Crusade in Columbia Heights, Minneapolis on January 21st 2006. So far this looks to be a one-off show so make sure you don't miss it! Let the paganization of Vinland commence!

Edit

I'll add one more band: Stam1na who made it on top40 last spring for 8 weeks. Pretty straightforward, maybe not my kind of metal, but have a look.