How much of a high/low pass do you use on metal guitars?

Sora01

how do mix ¯\(°_o)/¯
Oct 7, 2008
Aberdeen
Hey guys, just wondering what everyone uses

I usually do a high pass to about 70hz and low pass to 10khz.

I only lowpass guitars if I hear annoying stuff going on in the top end... Low pass depends.. Sometimes there is no need, sometimes 70hz is cool, sometimes 100... It depends on everything!!

I'd always go for a high pass at 60hz and a low pass at 12khz. Anything below that would hamper the "air" of the guitar.
After doing that I'd tame up the 180hz and below region using bells. I'd also use some tube saturation on the higher end to tame up the fizz, especially everything above 5khz - Tube saturation is important if you're a truely "futuristic" person who does have have access to amps, mics and other analog equipment including preamps.

Cheers!

I'd also use some tube saturation on the higher end to tame up the fizz, especially everything above 5khz - Tube saturation is important if you're a truely "futuristic" person who does have have access to amps, mics and other analog equipment including preamps.

That's a very interesting idea, I will try that! Thanks for sharing!

Your welcome, even though it was this forum from where I got alerted about tube saturation (in the Metal Kick EQ topic).:p

Currently I'm using PSP MixSaturation.

i pass 40 and 8k. you definitely need the 12k pass, but i personally like to pass all the way down to 8 to center the upper mids better, i boost the 4-6K area with a parametric EQ to get the highs back.

I use Gband or GHigh and GLow. I'm curious as to what their slope is.

I go 80 to 10k.

I use to low pass at 8k when I was using a PodXT with or without impulses. Now that I'm using a real amp with a real cab and mic, I moved up to 10 and might check to see if I can't go up a bit higher like the 12k that was mentioned. I think the last time I checked, the low pass wasn't even really necessary on my miced up cab. The Pod had a nasty high end fizz that had to be cut out while the real deal fizz is either not there or not an annoying one.

I hi-pass fairly high and steep, so 80-120 Hz (depending on how much room the bass guitar needs and is able to fill properly) with a 18 to 24 dB filter to everything out of the way. I seldomly low-pass the top-end and when I do than fairly high (10 - 12 KHz) and I am using 12 dB filters.

I usually hi and lo pass guitars differently depending on the sound, but as a rule, i usually just remove un-needed information. so slowly move the hi pass up until I hear a noticeable difference in sound, then i move it back slowly until i notice the difference go away, and leave it there. usually between 60 and 80 hz.

same for lo pass, bring it back slowly till you hear audible freq. being cut, then stop and bring it forward slowly till those freq. come back, and leave it there. usually 10-12 k

basically your just removing the "ghost" frequencies that are just mudding up your mix and are completely unneeded. :Smokin:
not "shape the sound" in any way

HP anywhere from 60 to 120 and LP anywhere from 10k to 12k. Sometimes I'll automate filtering down to 5k in spacier, ballady sections so that the guitars don't fight with other elements of the mix.

^Well, that was a bit of an epic bump.
While we're at it though, how the fuck you can low pass at 6500Hz and not have muffled guitars is beyond me

does anyone actually through a shelf on the lows? i generally put one on around 60 to 80Hz, or enough to free up the bottom end without loosing any character in the tone. as far as a low pass is concerned, i only apply it if the highs get really layered.

im usually 80 to 12 ish at the super steep filter/ 32 or 36 cant remember! the steepest one in the sonnox eq.

Recorded a marshall cab with 75s in it again this weekend; remembered why i HATE recording them. The sweet spot is the size of a postage stamp. and they always sound phasey and wierd.
Sound fine in the room but a nightmare to record