How much time do you play your bass a day???

Going on 12 years of playing. Practiced everyday for my first 2 years at least 2 to 3 hours (often much more), and never missed a day at the time.
Ashamed to say I don't play but a hour or so every 2 to 3 days now. Family and job make it hard to practice alot or stay motivated. But it's not useless practicing like I used to do (endless hours of the same old shit). Whenever I play now, it's almost always something new and usually challenging (I find I progress faster with less hours when it's quality practice). I dug into my old tapes and I'm finishing up learning Stuart Hamm's "terminal beach". I think I'll do a Wooten song next or try out some new music theory exercises I've been meaning to delve into.

I'd say, however, for a bassist of under 5 years experience, to put in as many hours as possible. Ya gotta get those techniques developed (just make sure there's no technical flaws that will come back to haunt you). That's my 2 cents (or a dollar and a half).

I have no idea of how many ours I practice but since I practically have 100% sparetime 7 days per week I spend alot of time with my bass. I don't however practice fully all the time but spend time tabbing, writing music, learning music theory etc too. I try to learn something new everyday and as long as I progress I am happy.

On my off days from the studio, about an hour maybe to stay in shape and keep up the chops, and about 3-4 hours when at the studio rehersing.

most of my spare time is on the guitar writing stuff for K5 ;)

I've found while beating on any instrument everyday for many hours will improve technique and chops, it detracts from creative output in the songwriting... well...for me anyway! I try to balance it all out if possible and live life to it's fullest!

I used to lock myself up in a room for hours at a time years ago but found that nothing helps out your playing & creativity more than living your life and experiancing everything you can about it.

\m/
Dustin

I don't practice nearly as much as I used to or should. I've been playing 17 years and between working and spending time with the wife (and cat ), I really only get to practice when I rehearse with the 2 bands I'm in. I'm still one "Bad" mother fucker.
:lol:

Not much at all... I still suck shit.. haha... but tomorrow I'm going to buy a new guitar. Gonna be playing all day... all day the next day too.. then back to work.. we'll see how much I practice after that. I'll probably get at least an hour a day in.

ive almost been playing guitar for 2 years now and i've found myself practising it instead of school work with about 3hours weeknights and ive gone up to 6 hours a day this holidays. i think ive overdone it a bit and i'll try and work myself up slowly by doing exercises and theory instead of useless practising