How much time

yeah Gomez.. you're right. good musicians can hammer out an ok album and you can mix it all in about 2 weeks, and it may even come out good... BUT, and with this i'm speaking of bands with music more complicated than punk or hardcore generally, you cannot craft a masterpiece in that time... i do not mean "technically perfect" playing.. i mean a musically stunning, well crafted and produced, with each performance being exactly what it should be.... and with a mix that does it justice. the difference in schools of thought result in the difference between guys that hammer out 20 albums a year and earn X and guys that make 8 or so a year and earn the same or more. i'll take option B.... and this is how most all your "big" metal albums are made... that is, much closer to option B than to A.

Gomez, I do it for a living too... 6 weeks all in for a reasonable-good budget and an album you really want to do a good job on... which is the only kind i like to do, so it's the only kind i bother with. i find i earn as much by keeping my standards higher and charging more as by sacrificing production or mix time to get the next project in.

+1

I've made a mantra of 'never compromise' and it keeps the kind of clients I'd rather not work with away, and the more reasoned ones coming in. Leads to better end products, better reputation, more work incoming, more leeway to charge appropriately = happy times.

Tracking: Per day up to 8 hours. Beyond 8 hours it becomes an hourly fee (at a significantly increase rate) to deter bands from booking overtime and getting burned out.

Mixing: Per song. Extra charge beyond 1-2 mix amendments. This is the part where I take as long as it needs, much as yourself.