how "fast" do you record/track bands?...

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
I was just wondering what is the "average" time do you spend tracking a band...(just recording)
Lately i´ve been asking myself if i spend too much time tracking...

Lets say that you record an 8 song cd...
i usually spend:
*(1 day = 8 hours)*

-2/3 days recording drums (usually 2 days ..3/4 songs per day)
-2/3 days rhythm guitars (i edit timing on the spot so usually a song takes 2/3 hours)
-Bass 1/2 days (timing edited on the spot)
-Vocals 3/4 days (depends on the complexity of the tracks...many background vocals/harmonies/etc..)
-Keyboards 1/2 days (again depending on the complexity of the arrangement)

There's not really a general rule...
tracking clean vocals for an album might take 6 days, growls could even be done in 1-2 days...
sometimes drums are finished the second day, sometimes it takes 4-5 days...
bass can often be done in 1 day, might take 3 days (I don't really like spending more than 2 days on bass though)....
then there might be folk instruments, synths etc....

A day here is anything between 8 and 16 hours (if it's going really well I won't stop recording usually)

So what I usually do is really customise a schedule for each band, most of the times tracking will be between 9 and 16 days (for a 10 track album)...

here's an example of how the first page of my quote could look

DeleteShowUM.jpg

You're pretty on with the timing man. That seems average, at least for this genre/ style. Other styles can be done quite a bit faster if the band is good and can record live together in the proper environment.

I spend 3 weeks tracking + editing and then 1 additional week for mixing for a standard album. I usually spend an average of 2 days per song to track/edit for an Ep though.