Sending rant mails feels good

jipchen

ForesterStudio
Nov 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
www.facebook.com
So yesterday I wrote a huge rant mail to the band I'm currently recording. It's my "ex-band".
And I had a good rant - about them not being able to play their fucking stuff, but only writing songs with 200bpm all the time.
About them not changing strings prior to recording or setting their instruments up properly (I told them!).
About the bass player playing with standard strings in Drop-C tuning <- I worked HOURS with melodyne to even out the totally fucked up tuning of each fucking note he played. we tuned after every take (at least every 10 seconds) while tracking.
I could hear the guitar and bass were not set up right every second but they didn't want to listen..
In fact both the guitar and the bass were never ever set up (for Drop-C tuning).
8 hours for 2 songs of bass tracking and 3 days for guitar (4 songs) Really? :yuk:

And the bass frequencies only go up to like 300 Hz above it is absolutely nothing. At least I don't get annoying string noise :lol:
Plus their drummer hasn't even paid the deposit yet (I won't start tracking him without the money, though).
It's much easier to record bands with people you don't know :bah:

Got their response today and they're all singing small now. Guess the rant succeeded..
Now they asked whether they should change the bass strings and set it up correctly and shit.
I'm not sure now honestly.. we've got 2 of 4 songs tracked and it took me a lot of fucking work to make the tracks work (both timing and tuning-wise).
They don't want to track the songs again and me neither honestly.
But recording the next two songs with new strings would most probably sound strange.. what do you think? I guess I could compensate it in the mix..

You could experiment with some spectrum matching eq and exciters but honestly: retrack and make em pay for it.

As much as you feel it'd be a wasted effort having 'fixed' the bass tracks you've already done, consider the end result. If you can re-track all the bass parts with good strings and make it sound consistently badass throughout the whole set, you'll be beaming when it's done.

Take it as an experience - you know you can fix that sort of shit when it needs to be done in the future, perhaps in a scenario where the band NEVER gets the message and you don't ever get the opportunity to re-record it all properly. You've got the chance to do it again, may as well take it. Maybe charge them a little extra for it while you're at it ;)

Haha I thought so, thanks for your answers. The bass player will change strings and let someone set the bass up.. then we'll track the other two songs first.
I hope they will understand the importance of the new strings and a good intonation then and we will retrack the other songs.
Yeah they pay per day so it's theoretically no problem for me how long they take.. but it's SO tiring to track the same 5 seconds over and over and over and over again :(
I need some good musicians for the next band or I'll kill myself :lol:

Thanks for not letting me get lazy, hehe.

Haha I thought so, thanks for your answers. The bass player will change strings and let someone set the bass up.. then we'll track the other two songs first.
I hope they will understand the importance of the new strings and a good intonation then and we will retrack the other songs.
Yeah they pay per day so it's theoretically no problem for me how long they take.. but it's SO tiring to track the same 5 seconds over and over and over and over again :(
I need some good musicians for the next band or I'll kill myself :lol:

Thanks for not letting me get lazy, hehe.

you do right so imo
make sure to make them understand that they need to retrack the other songs tho