How to get more high end from drums during tracking

Sep 20, 2005
Every single time I go to mix drums I've recorded, I have to add TONS of highs on the snare, and toms =. I'd rather get more of it from the actual drums than EQ because I feel like boosting so much with EQ is really adding noise, not to mention cymbal bleed.

So yeah, any tips for getting more high end out of natural drums, specifically toms and snare? Thanks in advance.

Stillwell audio Transient Monster to cancel out the cymbal bleed, works like a charm
Multiband comp to add some brightness should keep your noisefloor low.

anyway, that's how I (n00b) do it

Put plywood on your floor. Seriously.

Done on your advice sir. I've only recorded drums once without it. Set up the whole drum section of my little home studio based on your acoustic drums thread actually. :worship:

Cool though. I'll mess around with the placement of my room mics more. Does the angle of the mic have much of an effect on the tone/attack of the drum? I should try it myself obviously but it just occurred to me.

Thanks!

As obvious as it sounds, I find (at least when using a 57) that mic position makes a HUGE difference in the brightness of a snare - toms I've usually been pretty happy with right off the bat following Oz and others' general placement suggestions (4-6" away, pointing at the center, duhhh), but I tend to obsess with the snare. That being said, I still usually have to eq like ca-razy.

The problem with dull sounding raw drum tracks is often the drummer. Unless you're recording someone with a lot of experience and dedication, chances are pretty fucking huge that he knows jack about tuning his drums. More often than not, they're bringing in kits that sound less than stellar even when tuned. Most of us don't have the resources to buy a drumkit for our recording spaces, so thats why samples are so useful.

don't count on the drummer to make things easier for you. ;)

I wonder what type of results one would achieve by putting (or making DIY) diffusor panels on the walls and putting the drumset close to the walls and then recording, anyone ever try this or know of a recording that has done this?