How to get leads to cut through

Hey guys. I've been trying to take in all the advice and apply it. I lowered everything else and brought up the bass a bit. I'm trying to get the mids in check but I think I may have blown my ears out. For the leads, I'm using POD Farm, the spinal amp sim. I was using the Treadplate one before but it was a bit too scratchy. I updated the link and rendered it at 256kbps. I hope I'm sort of getting there.

Tbh, there's not a HUGE difference between even 128kpbs and .wav imo. Noticeable on the right system, but 128kpbs is fine for giving mix advice.

That said, the lead tone itself needs a lot of work. What are you using for it?

To me, it seems like anything thats 128kpbs has a really nasty thing going on in the highs. Like high hats and cymbals for example. But maybe it's just me.

To me, it seems like anything thats 128kpbs has a really nasty thing going on in the highs. Like high hats and cymbals for example. But maybe it's just me.

No, you're not the only one.
Especially at 96kbps, you can notice a disturbing loss in the air frequencies compared to Wav/straight off a CD

Honestly, even at 128 I barely notice a difference (couple of years of drumming without protection :(), but below that sure. But in any case, its not going to affect how you hear the lead tone.

No, you're not the only one.
Especially at 96kbps, you can notice a disturbing loss in the air frequencies compared to Wav/straight off a CD

Glad I'm not the only one. Does it sound like it almost has something going out of phase in those frequencies to you as well when you listen to those types of bit rates?

Honestly, even at 128 I barely notice a difference (couple of years of drumming without protection :(), but below that sure. But in any case, its not going to affect how you hear the lead tone.

Yeah, your totally right. At 128, on a matter like this where we're just listening to how the leads sound, it doesn't really matter. But IMO, when listening to a overall mix it matters. Just me though :D

I'm lost. If rendering at 128 is basically like wav, why go any higher if mp3 format just craps everything up anyways?

That's not right. Even at 320 kbps sounds different than .wav 128 sucks really bad. My ears can hear the difference.
With todays broadband, why don't stay with flac. You can make a good sound analysis with it. And you lost nothing of your mix.