Mixing Low Tuned 8 string Guitars

Actionjoe

New Metal Member
Jun 16, 2010
I recently ditched my 6 string and moved up to an 8 string baritone. I'm not disappointed in the tones Im getting but I still cant get THAT sound. I would compare the sound Im going for to Periphery or Meshuggah.
If anyone has any experience mixing low tuned guitars, your advice (eq, compression tips) would be greatly appreciated.
Im running through a Line 6 Pod x3 Pro with the Pod Farm 2 plug in.

Thanks! :devil:

I recently ditched my 6 string and moved up to an 8 string baritone. I'm not disappointed in the tones Im getting but I still cant get THAT sound. I would compare the sound Im going for to Periphery or Meshuggah.
If anyone has any experience mixing low tuned guitars, your advice (eq, compression tips) would be greatly appreciated.
Im running through a Line 6 Pod x3 Pro with the Pod Farm 2 plug in.

Thanks! :devil:

I found that it helps to get that djent sound when you boost the mids before the amp sim, like around the 1400hz area, but Erkan is the person who really knows about djent tones on here! so hopefully he will pop in to this thread haha

I gotta 7-string tuned to G, I usually turn up all the amp knobs to about 3 o'clock & tweak to taste from there. Also the gain needs to be around 2 - 3 o'clock but it all depends really, try tweak until the high freqs sound fizzy then back it up a lil. This is just what I need to do with my setup. With more higher-pitched standard tunings I usually give the amp abit more bass, but I found with these lower tunings it seems that turning up the bass just makes it all muddy & hideous, especially in a mix. Try with less bass in your tone, that usually fixes it.

EDIT: I don't use POD's but turning the bass down helps with most amp sims I have used.

I gotta 7-string tuned to G, I usually turn up all the amp knobs to about 3 o'clock & tweak to taste from there. Also the gain needs to be around 2 - 3 o'clock but it all depends really, try tweak until the high freqs sound fizzy then back it up a lil. This is just what I need to do with my setup. With more higher-pitched standard tunings I usually give the amp abit more bass, but I found with these lower tunings it seems that turning up the bass just makes it all muddy & hideous, especially in a mix. Try with less bass in your tone, that usually fixes it.

EDIT: I don't use POD's but turning the bass down helps with most amp sims I have used.

I also have my 7 string tuned down, at the moment its tuned down to F# haha, cutting a lot of the bass and "boom" from the sound helps give it that twangy djent sound

I also have my 7 string tuned down, at the moment its tuned down to F# haha, cutting a lot of the bass and "boom" from the sound helps give it that twangy djent sound

OMG I wonder how low the beast can go... well, b4 it starts sounding like a friggin bass guitar? :D

Turning the bass right down just makes it sound weak and shit. Even a good bass tone can never compensate for that natural sounding low-end that you will get from the guitar amp. I don't tend to drop the bass down, Just HP it but i'm after a more warm djent sound than the sterile sound a lot of bands seem to be going for. Make sure you have enough thump coming from the guitar. Have 15 minute breaks between patch tweaking. Don't boost high mids too much, Boosting 1.4k-2k is a very dangerous area even for that sound because it'll become raspy and undefined and sound like fizzy shit. I tend to work on the mids from the amp, low pass at 12k to get rid of the shit. And recently i've begun doing a tiny high shelf around 4.5k to get the brightness that i can't seem to find in my axe-fx...but that's just me...god damn i want my uberschall.