how to get that 'djenty' tone? (tone test)

I actually prefer the word "chug" instead of "djent" :D

two different things I think. I was never really into meshuggah or hearing any bands with that kind of sound and had no idea what the hell "djent" meant until about a year ago. never heard the word used before that. "chug' makes me thing more bass and not as sharp of a sound... "djent" makes me think a really sharp, but low tuned sound

Yeah technique, strings sure helps BUT: 'djent' is mostly a matter of how you set up your gear in my opinion, if you don't believe me and you've got a PODxt lying around try this: record a meshuggah riff with your favourite preset - not that 'djenty' right? Download bulbs PODxt preset (can be found somewhere in this forum - don't remember which thread - do a search) record the same thing again: 120%kick ass 'djent'. And my playing is the worst humanly possible & sloppy like hell (I kick my own ass on a daily basis) so it's definately not technique on my part (I never really used that 'djent' guitar sound on my tracks cause it doesn't really work with melodeath, maybe just a matter of different taste. Sure sounds killer on most everything else though...)

thank you guys!

thank you co, yeah... you want the patch? I can post a screenshot here if you want, or just PM your e-mail and I'll send it over

Yeah technique, strings sure helps BUT: 'djent' is mostly a matter of how you set up your gear in my opinion, if you don't believe me and you've got a PODxt lying around try this: record a meshuggah riff with your favourite preset - not that 'djenty' right? Download bulbs PODxt preset (can be found somewhere in this forum - don't remember which thread - do a search) record the same thing again: 120%kick ass 'djent'. And my playing is the worst humanly possible & sloppy like hell (I kick my own ass on a daily basis) so it's definately not technique on my part (I never really used that 'djent' guitar sound on my tracks cause it doesn't really work with melodeath, maybe just a matter of different taste. Sure sounds killer on most everything else though...)

Eh, I half agree with you. There's "djenty" and then there's "djent". Making your tone djenty is a matter of your gear setup. The actual djent is a technique, not just a palm mute through gear with the aforementioned setup. I can get both solid chugging palm mutes and djents without changing any settings.