how to get this bass guitar sound?

Well, a great player first ;)
Then, no offense man, I think there are many threads about bass recording/processing here... Just a quick search would bring you on the way.

btw cool song :)

Well, a great player first ;)
Then, no offense man, I think there are many threads about bass recording/processing here... Just a quick search would bring you on the way.

btw cool song :)
no offense man, i read it all. but you'll agree with me that this sound is a bit different from what those 3d are talkin about.. so.. can ya help me with this?
really tks a lot.

ps: the link works to me.. btw the song is taken from the last album of sebastian bach and is called "dance on your grave".

again tks to all for helping me

For me it sound like nice distort as F**K. Distortion help that bass get rattling sound.
And that was mentioned in treads searching Korn bass sound.

mmm.. i think that is not sufficient.. at the moment i'm:

• creating 3 instance of the same bass track
  • eq each one differently (bass, mid, hi)
  • compress each differently (except for the mid one)
  • put a distortion on the "bass" and "hi" one
  • routing everything to a bus aux and applying again a lowpass then wormer and distortion
at the end of all i sidechain kick to duck the bass.

this is a quite "standard" chain that i use, but...... is NOT what i'm searching for now. the reference sound i listed above is much LOUDER, distorted and i dunno how unbelievable PUNCHY.

it seems to me like they left the LOW freq natural and put a disortion on MID, with a small amount of "tip" for the HI freq. that is incidentally exactly the opposite of what i do. i'm trying to get something similar but "FAIL" is the word that is waving in my mind right now.. =|

this is what i'm trying to discuss, not exactly what other posts around discuss about. someone can help me with this?

Well, their guitarist and I are old friends, and I just sent him a message asking him if he knows or can provide info on what they used specifically for bass on the new album and that song. They're on tour, so I'm not sure if he'll have time to respond, but if he does I will post his response here.

Well, their guitarist and I are old friends, and I just sent him a message asking him if he knows or can provide info on what they used specifically for bass on the new album and that song. They're on tour, so I'm not sure if he'll have time to respond, but if he does I will post his response here.
woaa! really tks virgil!
i just recording bass guitar using the ampeg AVT2-PRO (with ampeg cab and sub), using an Electro-Voice RE20 for the sub (off axis), akg d112 and Sennheiser 421 (on axis) for the cab.

mmm.. i can't understand what's going wrong with this "bach" sound.. =)

I'm by no means a golden eared engineer and I listened through the motherboard D/A instead of the Apogee since Mozilla doesn't play nice, but it sounds like a really fat/colored (maybe Avalon DI/Pre) full bandwidth (33hz-8khz) clean track in parallel with a narrowed bandwidth (upper mids) dirt track.

I will note that the usage of fat applies to the character of the sound alone. The bass, as well as the rest of the elements in the mix, each sound very well balanced across the frequency spectrum. I dislike the music, but the mix is great. Stylistically, the whole mix sounds similar to the work done by fellow forumite Glenn Fricker. I'd bet he has some insight on where the bass tends to end up in these cases.

hi! tks for your reply.. so you think that i should sum the clean amp sound to a filtered (with hi pass) muddy distortion on the mids?

lol is EXACLY the opposite of what i've done! ahaha! now i try!

A means of being a bit more empirical in your trial and error, import that song into your session as a new track, chop it up so it's just the bass intro, record a quick but accurate performance of that bass intro, then setup a M/S matrix on the reference via effects. Waves and Brainworx each have some solid offerings, though I'm sure there is an open-source or freeware alternative that is just as solid.

This M/S matrix will put center information on one side/speaker and panned information on the other. Mute the side that has the panned content- in PT9, this can be done with a dual-mono Trim plugin that has the L+R unlinked. This will help to eliminate the high-hat info being played back with the center information as well as ambience and noise floor. Once the M/S matrix is functional with outer information muted, center the pan knob for the center information side so you have the bass being played where it is in the mix instead of hard left or hard right.

Now put a solid frequency analyzer plugin after the M/S matrix plugin on the reference track and put another frequency analyzer plugin last on your mix buss. I use IXL Multimeter, but again I'm sure there is an equally solid open-source, or freeware alternative if you don't already have something like this. I like Multimeter because it shows Peak+Average+Realtime frequency histograms simultaneously, dbFS Peak+Average meters, along with phase correlation. You can also move the mouse around on the frequency chart and get a readout of both exact frequency and amplitude (good for quickly finding and eliminating spikes and pits). I'm not trying to pimp IXL, I'm just illustrating what aspects of a good visual frequency analysis to look for. If anyone knows of a good free or low cost plug with features like this, please chime in.

Now open both GUI windows for each frequency analyzer, in PT9 this is done by pressing Shift+Left Click on the plugin insert box. Now, on top of switching between listening to the reference and your track, you can compare your summed bass tracks+buss+mix processing to the mastered reference. Whatever your playback chain and listening environment might be hiding from you will be sniffed out rather quickly this way.

Good luck. Be sure to post your final results, because once you figure out how they got that sound, it's up to you to take that knowledge and make your own. :headbang:

A means of being a bit more empirical in your trial and error, import that song into your session as a new track, chop it up so it's just the bass intro, record a quick but accurate performance of that bass intro, then setup a M/S matrix on the reference via effects. Waves and Brainworx each have some solid offerings, though I'm sure there is an open-source or freeware alternative that is just as solid.

This M/S matrix will put center information on one side/speaker and panned information on the other. Mute the side that has the panned content- in PT9, this can be done with a dual-mono Trim plugin that has the L+R unlinked. This will help to eliminate the high-hat info being played back with the center information as well as ambience and noise floor. Once the M/S matrix is functional with outer information muted, center the pan knob for the center information side so you have the bass being played where it is in the mix instead of hard left or hard right.

Now put a solid frequency analyzer plugin after the M/S matrix plugin on the reference track and put another frequency analyzer plugin last on your mix buss. I use IXL Multimeter, but again I'm sure there is an equally solid open-source, or freeware alternative if you don't already have something like this. I like Multimeter because it shows Peak+Average+Realtime frequency histograms simultaneously, dbFS Peak+Average meters, along with phase correlation. You can also move the mouse around on the frequency chart and get a readout of both exact frequency and amplitude (good for quickly finding and eliminating spikes and pits). I'm not trying to pimp IXL, I'm just illustrating what aspects of a good visual frequency analysis to look for. If anyone knows of a good free or low cost plug with features like this, please chime in.

Now open both GUI windows for each frequency analyzer, in PT9 this is done by pressing Shift+Left Click on the plugin insert box. Now, on top of switching between listening to the reference and your track, you can compare your summed bass tracks+buss+mix processing to the mastered reference. Whatever your playback chain and listening environment might be hiding from you will be sniffed out rather quickly this way.

Good luck. Be sure to post your final results, because once you figure out how they got that sound, it's up to you to take that knowledge and make your own. :headbang:
okok.. i'm not sure about having understood the matrix matter.. i'll read carefully this when i came back from work.. really tks..

ok, i finally had the time to read your reply.. i was already using the MS matrix trick.. but in this case the benefit is really thin.. because of the amont of ambience and noise floor are not too much.. and the hihat is quite laud even in the useful side of the matrix.. btw.. removing the mud side in order to work better is the best choice, so i'm using the matrix again!

i usually combine 2 or 3 different instance of the bass track.. with different eq, distortion and compression.. and then i usually route all these tracks to a bus for a final eq and (sometimes) light tape distortion.. but this way i really can't understand.. i don't think that there is a clean bass signal.. i'm thinking about a light distorted signal (but i can't find the "right" distortion) summed with a trick and heavy bass distortion one..

but i can't find the right effect.. i'm getting mad with this.. also this bass signal goes unbelievable high!! i suspect they used a metalflanger on something similar..

tips?

PS: by trying to get THAT sound i obtained a couple of configuration really cool.. but not exactly what i'm searching for..

This seems pretty simple. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a sansamp bass drive. One clean channel, one dirty. The sansamp has bass and presence knobs to help dial in where you want your distortion to fit. The second track will be simple with some kind of soapbar EMG or something similar. They tend to give exactly that sound with the upper mid honk. If you can't get a sansamp pedal, there a VST plug thats free floating around somewhere that does a fair job of it. Should do the trick with little adjustment needed.