How to make a guitar to sound like a bass??

vejichan

Dec 29, 2011
can anyone give me some cheap effective options to make my guitar to sound as close to a bass as possible. I hear about a pitch shift pedal or maybe an octave pedal.. but how exactly do you do this?
thanks

Usually I just pitch shift an octave lower and then process like I would with a normal bass.

TSE BOD
Compress
eq
create parallel track for some dirt

You know, the usual....

Pitch shifters do the magic by dividing (shifting left) the frequency spectrum of the original track, so if you want it to sound realistic, you should recreate what is lost in the high frequency part (mostly pick noise and very early part of the note) - you can do it with any "exciter" plugin that creates high frequencies based on what is in the mid and low frequencies (an ordinary eq will not work here).

Then apply your normal bass guitar effects.

can anyone give me some cheap effective options to make my guitar to sound as close to a bass as possible. I hear about a pitch shift pedal or maybe an octave pedal.. but how exactly do you do this?
thanks

You plug your guitar into an octaver and set it for 1 octave down.

Or you could just buy a cheap bass.

A cheap bass will sound better than shifting down a guitar in my experience. Just saw a yamaha bass going for 80 € secondhand. Cheaper than the boss octave.

A cheap bass will sound better than shifting down a guitar in my experience. Just saw a yamaha bass going for 80 € secondhand. Cheaper than the boss octave.
I'd have to disagree tbh. A lot of guys can't afford to re-string a bass for every demo recording, and I've found that a freshly stringed guitar pitched down, sounds better than a bass with old strings. I went down the cheap bass route but I still use my guitar pitched down simply because it sounds better. Plus if you're not a bassist already, it can be tricky to nail the more technical riffs on a bass as opposed to a guitar. But yeah, if you're just recording, don't bother buying a pedal, there's plenty of free plugins you can use. I just use ReaPitch.

I've been experimenting a lot recently with synthesizing the low end :yow:

In my experience bass gets split in half (low/high freqs) and the high end is to make the bass player heard and the low part is processed SO MUCH that it's practically synthetic anyways. I tried running two sine waves with different attack settings on a software synth (turn all the electro shit off) an ocatave apart into Le456 crunch channel and then low pass filter the fuck out of it. Fills the low end in nicely, and runs from programmed MIDI. Obviously one needs to play around with it, and you still sorta need the high end of the bass guitar in there if you want the bass to be "heard" as opposed to just felt.

Bass guitars have issues a lot of the time with low tunings and stuff (tend to go sharp when plucked). I'd love to do this for the real low end and then use a bass guitar for a justin chancellor type tone higher up in the frequency range. It would help a lot with getting the low end to stick together properly.