How to treat grunts and high scream vocals?

Jun 2, 2005
Does anyone have anything on this?

Thing is, once my songs are done, vocals will be added, they will be recorded in a studio with quality mics, so that's cool and a big plus, but i have no clue how to implement the vocals just yet.. in fact, i have never done this before, never did a serious attempt...

Articles? tips? own impressions and experiences?

I think i read somewhere that you need to treat vocals like solo's.. work a lot with compression.. (r-comp?)

Thanks in advance!

The less eq, the better (assuming the recording is clean). Hi-pass recommended though.
Gate is useful in many cases.
Deesser sometimes.
Compression mandatory except if you work with Celine Dion.
R-comp? why not? It's not the cleanest comp around. It depends on the style of sound you go for (dirty or clear).
If you need to compress a lot, an efficient way to keep the voice understandable (lot of compression tend to blurry the words) is to add a subtle (!) touch of exciter.
If the vocals are too mono sounding, you can use the early reflexions from a reverb to spread it a bit in a natural way. Avoid the doubling/panning technique or the "stereoïzers" plugins, they are often wearying on an entire song and even more on a whole album.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
haha :) Actually I have already sent a vocal part through a high gain guitar head and got back the result with a 57 in front of the 4x12, and it sounded really cool (but that's more for a special effects indeed).
That sounds... interesting o_O. Could you post a clip of the results?

when i do "caveman" vocals, as i like to call it, i tend to use an sm57 and a good amount of compression and it always turns out really nice quality-wise. you don't need 3,000 $ mics to have a top quality sound.

KeithRT99 said:
when i do "caveman" vocals, as i like to call it, i tend to use an sm57 and a good amount of compression and it always turns out really nice quality-wise. you don't need 3,000 $ mics to have a top quality sound.
I actually think that when you record growls you can do it hand held, with a 57. I personally growl better when holding the mic and doing the whole theatrical permormance of pulling angry faces and such.

BURNY gave good tips. But I'll have to say that I don't use Gate nearly never on vocals. If used too much, it sucks the life out of the vocals. I rather just cut the excess break in DAW and mute them. Of course if you have too much background noise on the vocal track, then gate is your friend :)

Doubling takes is definetily worth it, works great on choruses etc. But don't overdo it.