how to use impulses?

For the uninitiated, the whole deal with IR's is to make a "less than desireable" recorded tone sound like it was recorded through a decent cab in a decent environment.

To get this you need to "process" the guit track in your DAW through an Impulse Response of a speaker cabinet ..your DAW needs a plug that processes IR's ...do a search in the Sneap forums if you're not sure.

One way to do it:
Lets use my mint white tolex 20'th Anniversary '82 JCM-800/50w/EL-34 as an example (BooYaa! I bought it new!).

I dump the main (post-power speaker) outs to a Behringer Ultra-G active DI box (the ONLY Behringer product that doesn't suck, imo) ...amp sim = off.

Ultra-G's XLRs go to a Mackie 1402 VLZ pro ("decent" home studio pre's), into a Gina24 soundcard, into either Sonar5 or Cubase SX.
Once in Sonar/Cubase, I just add (any) VST/DXi IR plug to the track & load in one of the Impulses that the folks here have graciously provided.

Oh yeah, if you don't wan't amp-on 8-speaker-volume, you need to drop the Ultra-G's speaker outs to a dummy load.
If you skip this step (for valve amps), you'll fry your amps output transformer in about 5 minutes.
A big $$ no no.

I built a dummy load box to send the speaker outs to nowhere.
UM's own Ether McBreakfast told me EXACTLY how to make the dummy load box ....net cost was a little over 20 bucks & 2 solder points.

To use Impluses with something like a POD-XT, or a pre like a Digi 2101 or a JMP-1, make sure you have amp sims off ...print the buzzy track, then add the impulse plug.

Adding an "impulse of a cab" to a guit track that is already "cab simmed" will yield basically nothing.
For the most part, you won't be able to notice any difference.