How weird... Jason Newsted Joins Ozzy as new bassist!

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Taken from www.electricbasement.com

MUSICAL CHAIRS? - NEWSTED TO OZZY
Bassist Jason Newsted Replaces Robert Trujillo Who Joined Metallica Recently

By Brian Coles
Editor

3/17/03

Well, here it is...breaking! I just got back from a special media-only event where OZZY OSBOURNE introduced his mysterious new bass player at 3rd Encore Studios in North Hollywood at 2:30 PST. And the new bass player is....dudum....JASON NEWSTED!

The afternoon began with a 4 song performance in a small studio room, featuring "War Pigs", "Believer" (to highlight Jason), "No More Tears" and "Crazy Train", with guitarist Zack Wylde telling Jason "don't fuck it up!", in jest of course. The informal event was held for about 25 journalists, from websites, print and TV, which made it a special treat. I, along with one other fellow, sat on the floor right in front of Ozzy during the whole event and all I can say is "F*CKING WOW!" Ozzy jumped up and down and had us clapping along as if it were an arena gig. The man is incapable of holding back.

After we were all bludgeoned by the ultimate Ozzy gig, Newsted and Ozzy fielded questions from us, simpling standing about 4 feet away without mics etc. Here are some of the highlights form the event:

Before launching into "War Pigs" Ozzy said, "This is for Bagdad!"

What about VOIVOD who Jason recently joined? Well, they will be playing second stage at OZZFEST, with Jason pulling double duty!

When the irony was pointed out that Jason came from Metallica (though he left a couple years ago) and Robert Trujillo went to Metallica recently from the Ozzy band, Ozzy said, "It was a fair exchange. No robbery took place!" He also went to emphasize there was no animosity between any of the bands or bandmembers and that he was a big fan of METALLICA. Ozzy later emphasized that he wants his bandmembers to be free to pursue what they want as long as he is given "fair warning". He said Robert Trujillo would "always remain a dear friend of mine."

Jason Newsted echoed this idea saying that while he complained of physical strain being on tour with METALLICA, the pain of playing with VOIVOD and OZZY during OZZFEST would not be the same. "There were a lot of things that went on with METALLICA where the pain was present. There are things that happen with VOIVOD and OZZY that make the pain not so present." Later on he embelished, "What's so cool with Ozzy is that you are free to do your own thing like play underground metal with VOIVOD and still be in the biggest rock enterprise in the world."

When Jason was told he brought a new energy, he said, with a grin, "That's my speciality, kicking people in the ass!"

While many people are probably wondering about money, Newsted insists they haven't discussed that part yet. In fact, he only got the call last week but did not hesitate to say yes. Newsted talked about how SABBATH bassist GEEZER BUTLER was his number one teacher. He explained that in METALLICA he'd write a riff and that they'd have to dismiss it as being too much like SABBATH, now that won't be a problem. He is also excited about the opportunity to display VOIVOD at Ozzfest. He joined VOIVOD last year and just released their self-titled "comeback" album on his own Chophouse Records.

Jason was asked candidly if he were to be asked to re-record any bass parts on an Ozzy record, would he? He insisted that his part of the band would be about moving "forward."

When I asked OZZY if they planned on writing together, he said "Absolutely! I can't wait! You know this TV thing I have been doing has starved me of my rock 'n' roll. I might be on the fucking Weather Channel next!"