How Would You Treat This Room!?!

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Ok, well I wanted to wait till I moved to purchase any treatment, so that I could make things specifically for the new place, but since that might not happen as soon as I'd hope... I'd like to get some treatment up ASAP instead of fighting with the shitty acoustics of this room.

Here's a diagram I did in Illustrator so you can get all the room dimensions:

RoomDimensions-1.png

Now, as you can see... the size is decent, but the fact that nearly two whole walls are covered by a window or a mirror are going to make this really tricky, since I can't exactly hang acoustic panels on glass. Unfortunately, I can't really move to a different room, because for one - They have stuff in them and two - they have similar layouts. Also - Where the 4' wall is, is where the door is to get into the room, if it makes a difference, I didn't draw it in cause I figured all the marks would get confusing haha.

To make things even more ridiculous, here is what I have it setup like now:

DeskPlacement-1.png

Obviously, there's a lot of stuff in there :bah:

I'm certainly not hoping for the best results, but just something that I can get by with until I move into a new place that (hopefully) has a basement that I can convert a room or two into a decent studio.

I was planning on building my treatment out of Owens Corning 703, similar to this. I figure, this way, whatever treatment I build for this room, can still be used in the new room when I move.

What would you guys do?

Move your desk so it sits in front of the window. Move your drum kit to the corner to the right of your current desk position. Bass traps in the three corners that meet at "90 degrees" (the door corner should sort of act like a natural trap I guess since it is already at an angle) and then put panels at left and right of your listening position. That would be a pretty decent start.

Move your desk so it sits in front of the window. Move your drum kit to the corner to the right of your current desk position. Bass traps in the three corners that meet at "90 degrees" (the door corner should sort of act like a natural trap I guess since it is already at an angle) and then put panels at left and right of your listening position. That would be a pretty decent start.

That's exactly what I was thinking, actually. With the window behind my monitors, and the mirror to the front of them, I would only be able to cover left, right and top reflection points, though - Is that better than treating behind and in front of the monitors?

You'd also be able to get your corners, which is likely going to be as beneficial as your first reflection points. I'd start with that and see how you get on from there :)