How you usually pan this (guitar related)

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, let's say you have a song with two guitar parts AND vocals.

a) Heavy rythmn chugga chugga
b) Other guitar doing octaves or some kind of single string arrangements - anything that dont have the power of a heavy palm muting.

How would you record and pan this ? I usually record the rythmn parts twice, pan then wide L/R, vox centered (of course) and pan the "b" guitar to one of the sides a little bit, also making the rythmn guitar at this same size a little quieter.

However, i feel it sometimes clutters too much the stereo image.

So, what you'd usually do ?

Ivan

So, let's say you have a song with two guitar parts AND vocals.

a) Heavy rythmn chugga chugga
b) Other guitar doing octaves or some kind of single string arrangements - anything that dont have the power of a heavy palm muting.

How would you record and pan this ? I usually record the rythmn parts twice, pan then wide L/R, vox centered (of course) and pan the "b" guitar to one of the sides a little bit, also making the rythmn guitar at this same size a little quieter.

However, i feel it sometimes clutters too much the stereo image.

So, what you'd usually do ?

Ivan
I think you're on the right track, and I agree with Audiophile77. I usually pan rhythm guitars hard left and hard right 100%, then if you have some secondary guitar melodies/harmonies, I would pan them somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-60% left and right, with the vocal in the middle. Same with your main lead guitar or solo, I'd put that in the middle, or just slightly off to either side, but still mostly centered. And I've read this a lot, and I tend to agree, match the levels of your vocal and your guitar solos.

In this case, would you be doubletracking the octave/lead? I'm not too keen on tracking leads twice. I generally copy and pan it 60l and 60r, but have the track on the left side around -4dB and the one on the right at 0dB. This gives a sense of space and solidity.

It's tough to say, although all the comments ahead of me I find generally agreeable. It really just depends on the parts involved. I'm a big fan of doubling/layering vocals and really producing them (when appropriate) so that they impact the listener in an interesting way, so if you're on a part where the vocals could sound good intensified or layered in any way, try double tracking the vocals 100% L/R and then burying the octave/alternate guitar part back a bit in the center, perhaps with some slight stereo delay to widen it out a bit. I think screaming gets pretty darn boring when there's just one single part panned center for the entire song, so I would recommend that you be mindful of that. Just do what seems right for the parts all together!

I generally copy and pan it 60l and 60r, but have the track on the left side around -4dB and the one on the right at 0dB. This gives a sense of space and solidity.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your methodology, this would be just the same as panning a mono track to the right a bit.

Never tried double tracking leads, i always tought it was cool to listen to different part more to one side of the speaker, but i might try that someday. Thanks!