How Zeuss achives this unreal good guitar tone???

I heard that JCM 800 and Mesa dual rectifier were the amps on the new terror...
But I cant get it, everytime I player a JCM 800 it sounded like:puke: ..haha

A friend of mine has one, so I hope I can try it for our new Record....

I've never tried parallel compression. Can someone give me the lowdown if phase cancellation/phasing issues is a problem when using this technique? I'm kind of imagining that it is. I know that you can use this technique with anything when mixing, you know, drum buss, vocals, the entire stereo buss etc, so it's got me wondering about all of these phasing issues.

I never had problems with parallel compression but I did only in logic 8.
It depends if the DAW you use has DELAY COMPENSATION.
Protools LE doesnt have it.

Just send the audio you want to an AUX and put an hard smashing comp on it.

cheers

That makes sense, I'm sure it cures that right up. But what if you're running some outboard gear like an outboard compressor? That makes me wonder :guh:

I never use outboard gear. So I realy cant answer this, sorry.
But in logic you have this I/O plugin, and I´m shure you can set this, so you have no delay?
Also is protools HD well known for the routing.
But someone else can answer this more correctly I hope;)

In PT LE, I have to route the elements through two auxes (busses, if you like) and they have the same exact plugins on them, so that the one is "working" and the other is in bypass or doing at least something, depending on the material.
This way I have no phase problems as the two auxes have the same latency, if any. I do have other problems, though.. :p

Things get a lot easier with hardware.

I am not a big fan of terror´s gtr sound.
I preffer more hifi, like hatebreed (for the lyons) or madball (infiltrate the system)
maybe he uses the jcm800 with any distortion pedal, like RAT.
I will say it again, the ADA he uses, brings a very BIGGGG sound. Not about the tone but yes about the size.
cheers

didnt know Zeuss did whitechapel.
I´m very interested in the new Despiced Icon!!!!
The mastering is a good point!!!!
Didnt thought about that.
Also zeuss said in one studio-diary of D.I. that he has a favourite mastering dude, he mostly works with.
Dont remember the name...

DI as in Despised Icon? I can't find any studio diary of the mixing process, the newest one is the guitar solos? If you have a link please share!

Yeah Despised Icon.....but fuck I cant find the video anymore!!!!I swear I saw it when I was watching the other 6 or 7????
The dude who plays the solos and the canadian technic (from the recording process) visit Zeuss studio for mixing...

from the DI homepage, but the link doesnt work anymore???:

We just got the final master a few days ago. The record is done and it sounds like a beast! “Day of Mourning” drops September 22nd worldwide on Century Media. We’ll post a new song and show you our vilest album cover soon but in the meantime, take a look at the 7th and last studio report we just posted to learn more about how the album was mixed.

In addition to our upcoming European summer festivals tour, we’ve just been announced on this year’s “Thrash and Burn” and “Never Say Die” tours. We’ll be sharing the stage with awesome bands and are finally going to play a few new tracks for you guys live. I can’t wait to be on tour!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah after much deliberation I cannot successfully figure out a way to see this vid. All of the delete YouTube video players have either been shut down or don't work. We'll see what Yannick says, I'll be bummed if they aren't ever going to put it back up...

did zeuss only do the new emmure? or did he also do goodbye to the gallows? the guitar in the newer one doesn't sound nearly as "huge" to me but it does have somewhat more of a "metallic" twinge to it. gabriel- have you tried slight multi-band compression on the high-mids? depending on which plugin is being used you can get drastically different coloration results that might give it that "10%" of tone coloration you think you want. when i say you "think" you want, i mean i think you may have simply been searching for this sound for so long that it's something that doesn't even really exist and is just in your head, and if you color something you've already recorded JUST right with ...say C4, it might suddenly click and you'll say EUREKA! this is what i was looking for.

Yeah Zeuss did the Emmure - goodby to the gallows too.
I tried the c4 sometimes but it never gave me a thing:)
Maybe I try it on the next real project.

But I will use all the tips you guys gave me!!!promissed. Thank you very much!!!

1. More time spending to get the right position for the mics.
2. Trying an Sennheiser 421 maybe instead of the e609
3. Trying out parallel compression on the guitar bus once more
4. Trying out a multiband comp once more.
5. More time for the bass and the right sound!!!

Good thing is with the next band I do I have lots of time.
3 days for drums, 3 days for guitars, 1 day for bass, 3-4 days for vocals/clean vocals/gangshouts. And then 6-7 days for mixing.
The record will be mastered in another studio.

also, see my post about the senn 421 before you use it! that mic can be deceiving.

another good thing to try is some kind of harmonic exciter / delay. if you delay your lows by 5 - 10 ms after the crunch of the guitar it makes for much smoother and lower feeling chugs. it kinda makes the speaker that's playing your mix/master react like the guitar cab speaker would as far as moving in and out.