How's my mix?

BillMurray

New Metal Member
Feb 12, 2014
Hi there, this is my first post, so hi!

This short clip was made in a purely digital environment, everything is DI.

I could really do with some feedback.

Thanks.

Gear used
Guitars: Pod HD (Desktop)
Bass: Cheap standard
Drums: SSD4
Editing: Waves Plugins, Ozone 5

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good man. Bass guitar could be lowered a little bit as I think it's mudding stuff up. Sounds like you still need to master it also but nice job!

Sounds good man. Bass guitar could be lowered a little bit as I think it's mudding stuff up. Sounds like you still need to master it also but nice job!

Thanks man! I thought so too, about the bass that is. I did try to "master" it, :)

Every other forum that I have posted this on, I get the opposite feedback, saying that there isn't enough bass and that there are too many high frequencies everywhere, guitars and kick drum mainly.

Thanks man! I thought so too, about the bass that is. I did try to "master" it, :)

Every other forum that I have posted this on, I get the opposite feedback, saying that there isn't enough bass and that there are too many high frequencies everywhere, guitars and kick drum mainly.

I listened with a sub so I can definitely hear the bass and what it's doing.

Maybe your mix has too much sub-bass and not enough low-mids. Would explain why I hear too much with a sub, and other people don't hear enough.

I would say...lower bass guitar slightly (compress it if not done already), add some lows to the kick drum, bring the highs on guitar down a little, and bring down cymbals. Should get you in the right direction. :headbang:

I listened with a sub so I can definitely hear the bass and what it's doing.

Maybe your mix has too much sub-bass and not enough low-mids. Would explain why I hear too much with a sub, and other people don't hear enough.

I would say...lower bass guitar slightly (compress it if not done already), add some lows to the kick drum, bring the highs on guitar down a little, and bring down cymbals. Should get you in the right direction. :headbang:

Okay, I made some of those changes you mentioned, or at least I tried :) I think it sounds a little better.

Drums sound nice and fat now and guitar is nice too. Bass guitar sounds better now but could still come down in the mix. Did you master it differently? 2nd mix sounded "muffled" and not as loud compared to the 1st.

Drums sound nice and fat now and guitar is nice too. Bass guitar sounds better now but could still come down in the mix. Did you master it differently? 2nd mix sounded "muffled" and not as loud compared to the 1st.

Yes I did, I don't think I turned it up as much. However, here is the final mix. Cheers for all your help.