How's that possibile? Shitty metal studios in Italy.

volothamp

New Metal Member
May 18, 2009
Hello everybody.

Here's the point: I can't really understand how's that possible that all your clips you post on this website sound terrific, awesome.

I don't know what to think. We are a metal band located in Milan, Italy, and we want to record a full-lenght self-produced album, but every studio we found has got only shitty mixing samples.

For example:

This is the demo page of Elnor studio, a metal studio located near my city. It's the home studio of Labyrinth's drummer (an italian "famous" prog/power metal band).

http://www.elnorstudio.com/#content4

I don't know, neither of these sample sounds very "aggressive" to me. They are all weak. All of the "recording tests" I found on this forum sounds better to me.

Please join me in my search for an Italian metal studio. Or at last, join me in my depression (joking). :)

Any advice on italian METAL studios? Or near north italy - Switzerland, France, Germany Spain... something. Only Europe please. :D

Thank you.

The last band I mixed had their fist ep recorded in a studio which cost them 700$ for 4 songs, and it sounded really bad.

For the band's ep I mixed, we recorded drums and vocals in studio, bass and guitars were all DI recorded at home and it sounded really better than their first ep, and it cost them nearly nothing.

I still can't believe in 2009 lot of studios are not recording DIs. I don,t know, I think it's just one of the basic things you need to do. They prefer to record a crate amp instead of recording the DI and send to DI to reamp or use gearbox.

It's sad to say too, but I think there is a lot of lazy people in audio engineering that just...don't care. Most if not all people here aren't this kind of people, if we go on a audio engineering forum to learn things I think it's the best proof we're loving what we do. And we won't record a crate amp. Most mixes I heard here are tons better than mixes I heard from studios that cost a lot.

Hi...I think the same about italian studios: also the "big" metal bands sound so bad (probably because here you become famous only if you do pop music, and the studios do only pop music).
Anyway there are some pretty cool metal studios, for example Fear Studio (near Ravenna) or something else in Rome.
I've not a "real" studio but I record bands as well (I'm located in Bologna)....if you want, check the last promo I did, here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...omo-song-new-version-5150-real-drums-etc.html

Kaomao and ::XeS:: make some pretty good mixes, so you can talk to them if you'd prefer to record in Italy. You could also record somewhere and then upload the tracks and choose someone from here to mix them.

I'd track the drums there and maybe the vocals...that's all.

+1

Record there the only things you can't record at home: drums and vocals.
Make sure you record triggers for each piece of the drum set and the OverHead/Room tracks are nice enough.

Track DI tracks for guitars and basses at home.

Then send everything to some producer to mix it.

I'd ask the big names in this forum first, maybe joeymusicguy, Lasse Lammert, etc...

I see. Well, I think it depends on their needs, for a demo some 58 or 57 in a decent preamp would do the job. But I see.

Anyway yeah the studio you gave the link has some shitty sounds... It's strange, it's like the engineers don't listen to what is an average good metal mix and don't try to imitate at all.

Well, are those engineers really metal specialized ? Cause some could be general engineers and do some metal from time to time and some starting bands that don't really know the process would think "hey at least this sound is more decent than mine". No ?