How's this... finally something I think compares to pro-mixes :)

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13387998/Vortech - 07 - Unveiling the Future.mp3

Here's the latest mix I have, for a song on the upcoming Vortech release. No vocals yet, as we will record them soon.

Guitars - TSS + quadtracked Lecto + spreshigh (passive JB pups)
Bass - split DI signal, both heavily compressed, plus various distortion plugins on the high one
Drums - SD2.0 Avatar, kick drum is a blend between Machine Head kick1 + a distorted 606 kick for extra bass oomph

What really opened up the mix for me was really aggressively boosting the higher frequencies of all guitars and the overheads. Previously I never boosted, and they made them sound a bit dull. Also, I was really sparing with the master channel limiting: I brought down the input gain to -40 or so in Ozone, until there was no clipping present in the input. It surprised me when the level is still very comparable to Demanufacture and The Great Cold Distance :)

I can certainly hear those high freq boosts! :lol: kind of feels like I'm at the dentist. I think it's a bit much. In general, I don't think you left room for vocals. But it's very aggressive which is cool! I was about to say sounds like a Scandinavian mix and then I see you're from finland, haha.

I think in general I would look for freqs to pull out to give the whole thing a little space, because right now it's crowded. I'm sure it will be really killer when it's done. Nice job!