HP Lovecraft

Some Bastard

Part of the problem
Jul 4, 2006
Just saw this on your front page:

The Nameless: Coverage of music based on HP Lovecraft, his peers, and his influences.

As a great admirer of the man's work I think it's very cool that you're doing this.

Any other lovers of weird fiction on this board?

I think the problem is that only about six people use this board and three of us knew about this before I posted.

Next issue I should throw a blurb in, "your subscription will be canceled with no refunds given unless you come say hi on the message board." :p

Well that's why few say anything here. Its an 'argument' board not so much of a discussion board. If you are 'wrong' to some, they tend to lay in on you and insult you. Which then seems to lead to insults from both sides. Yet, somehow interesting and worthwhile debates still take place

That is a rare quality, is it not?

I think in general people are too thinskinned about arguing in the current climate. There are lines of decorum and propriety that should not be crossed (but if need be the old "fight fire with fire" line can be applied), but there is a pervasive idea in our culture that strident and volitile arguing is an unalloyed evil that nothing good can come from. In part, the larger media is responsible for this feeling, since so little of substance is said without any evidence in an adversarial manner which is mindnumbing instead of edifying.

Maybe it is just because it is election season that I feel this way, but to have a temper of any sort is regarded as a character flaw in larger society and may have very well cost John McCain the Republican nomination back in 2000. But no one is supposed to be angry, pissed or outraged about anything enough to "lose" their cool lest they appear mad and out of sorts. Maybe some things are gained, but we have lost much and forgotten even more by venerating an emotional flatline as the norm.

Speaking for myself, I wrote two very argumentative pieces about something important to me and people wandered on the board to attack and deconstruct what I wrote. This more than anything accounts for the fire and brimstone that has issued from my fingertips on numerous occassions and may give some the wrong overall impression.

Also, as a rule, it is incredibly difficult to say something that has meaning and substance about metal without offending or angering someone somewhere, but sometimes things need to be said.

As for this thread, I have not read Lovecraft and not much Weird fiction so I can't really comment one way or another on the topic which kick started this thread.

Well that's why few say anything here. Its an 'argument' board not so much of a discussion board. If you are 'wrong' to some, they tend to lay in on you and insult you. Which then seems to lead to insults from both sides. Yet, somehow interesting and worthwhile debates still take place

Don't play the victim card, Scott. It makes you look even more foolish

Bah, as for me, I'm neither thin-skinned nor worried about being offensive. One of my best-known traits is my temper, for better or worse (hey, I've got red hair, deal with it ;) ). But, unless I feel like I have something worthwhile to say, I don't post. That's something that seems to be a rarity on some forums I've seen.

I also get the added bonus of running one site and moderating another, which means I've had my fill of keyboard warriors pretty early on in my time spent online. I come to boards like this to escape and just be a nobody browsing and lurking. So, anyway, not everyone who doesn't post and scrap is a spineless wuss.

However, somewhat almost back on topic, I haven't read Lovecraft in so long (15 years at least), I'd actually been thinking of going back and re-reading some. I think this will further my motivation. Any suggestions on where to begin would be welcome.

However, somewhat almost back on topic, I haven't read Lovecraft in so long (15 years at least), I'd actually been thinking of going back and re-reading some. I think this will further my motivation. Any suggestions on where to begin would be welcome.

At the Mountains of Madness and The Dunwich Horror are my favorites. The Shunned House is pretty good too but not so flowing as a story.

Don't play the victim card, Scott. It makes you look even more foolish

There is no victim card. Its just an observation of why there probably aren't more people joining the discussions. I obviously post here so don't care. I even insult some at times =/

Also with Lovecraft. I wonder at times if its used in music (and some other literature), because its truly inspirational to the artist, or because cult followings of those literature might be more interested in checking them out.

One guy that even out-Lovecrafts Lovecraft (and was also an inspiration) is Arthur Machen. I recently re-read his story 'The Great God Pan'. Definitely not a good read at night with the lights low.

evlgt85: Just go to the library and buy any compilation book. Read which stories come with it, and see which you'd prefer to have. But its hard to say that one is better than another. Perhaps some reviews might help... sure you can get those at Amazon or something... whatever you prefer. I have a small one of about 12 stories. I might buy some more later. Which is annoying, since inevitably you end up paying for some stories twice. I bet some of his stories never made it into books, they might only be in mags like Weird Fiction.

evlgt85: Just go to the library and buy any compilation book. Read which stories come with it, and see which you'd prefer to have. But its hard to say that one is better than another. Perhaps some reviews might help... sure you can get those at Amazon or something... whatever you prefer. I have a small one of about 12 stories. I might buy some more later. Which is annoying, since inevitably you end up paying for some stories twice. I bet some of his stories never made it into books, they might only be in mags like Weird Fiction.

http://www.arkhamhouse.com/

The hardcover collections The Dunwich Horror and Others, At the Mountains of Madness, and Dagon and Other Macabre Tales are as complete a collection of Lovecraft's originals as you'll find with no duplication between them. I have these. Pricey, but excellent. I don't have The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions though.

http://www.nightshadebooks.com and others sell Lovecraft and other Weird-Tales related authors as well.

Look up Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature essay. It's an excellent buying guide and much of that stuff can be found on Amazon. Be prepared for some intense reading as everything there is 75+ years old. :)

I was made aware of it shortly after making the Quintology announcement. Since no work has been done on The Nameless aside from contacting a couple bands, I'm not worried. Once The Timeless' writing is done, I'll go ahead and order this and see if I can use it as a resource or starting point or dartboard (as appropriate), and also make sure that The Nameless does not end up being redundant.

Ya want to start with this book
0440506603.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056443521_.jpg

I've got the three Arkham House volumes, which I recommend. Crappy cover art, otherwise absolutely top notch quality books.

I've also used Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature extensively for buying new material, and it's a shame that most of that is available only in softcover, and even more of a shame that I can't afford all that's available in hardcover!