H.P. Lovecraft fans/writers

The Emptier

t3h b3aSt0rZ
Oct 28, 2006
Columbus, OH/Bay Area, CA
www.facebook.com
Well, I'm doing my huuuuuuuge junior paper on h.p. lovecraft. basically we had to read the works of an american author and the paper is basically centered around a thesis which proves something about his/her works

my thesis (so far) is

"H.P. Lovecraft uses antiquarian and forbidden knowledge to show and question man's place in the universe."

my teacher OK'd it, but i'd just like to get some more input, i don't want to do a 12 page essay with a thesis i can't properly prove. I guess the main thing i need help with is, first making sure the thesis is perfect, and finding lovecraft stories that will be best used to prove this thesis. i know a lot of them have to do with this, i've read a ton of his stories but i can't really decide which ones to do yet.

thanks!

I'm a fan of Lovecraft, but I can't help you out with your thesis because I never felt Lovecraft's work was especially deep..it was just good horror IMO. Sorry for being a SHUB-NIGGURATH

"H.P. Lovecraft uses antiquarian and forbidden knowledge to show and question man's place in the universe."

Forbidden knowledge... I honestly don't like how that statement reads out. Lovecraft was flat out anti-humanist when it came to his mythos, and rooted his horror in the incomprehensibility of extended knowledge, (i..e the knowledge that man reaches for, but will truly never attain or be able to contain). The knowledge itself wasn't prohibited, it was just... maddening.

Lovecraft himself stated this:
Lovecraft said:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

The origin of this knowledge comes from the maddening glimpses of "true" reality, and in some cases it is handed down by means of hereditary (remember, he was not only profoundly racist and geopolitical, but also followed many of the theories of racial hierarchy that existed at the time).

One good example of this is the story of "Dagon". Anyway, in this story a man escapes a ship and ends up stranded in the ocean for a period of time, during a point in time he goes unconscious. When he awakes he is ashore and the smell of death is all around him - as he notices the bodies of both fish and creatures that he hopes are fish that have never been discovered. He goes over the landscape and starts climbing, and continues to do so till he gets to a ledge. He notices strange monolithic statues across the chasm and tries to make out the art that is engraved on them (what he see's are deep ones worshiping old one's and greater deep ones, and is trying to figure out if the size comparisons are exaggerated or not (he sees a deep one bigger than a blue whale, etc.); out of the corner of his eye, he spots something moving that is so massive that it it dwarfs the monoliths he was staring at. Just grasping this vision sends him into a frenzy of fear, and he claws at the earth while trying to climb away as fast as he can to the safety of the beached boat he left behind. When he awakes, he is in a room and discovers he was picked up by English soldiers, and then returned home. More than likely he commits suicide shortly after due to his experience (I really don't remember the ending).

Point is though, he only somewhat saw a greater deep one, but because of its nature, its relational difference to accepted reality, his seeing this otherworldly thing - even only partially, was enough to break his mind and send him running in fear of his existence. He didn't go running after knowledge, he merely stumbled upon it.

For your thesis, I think you should focus on the effects of knowledge, as to many character they merely come into the states where knowledge may be discovered - quite easily mind you. You should look at the stories of "The Unnamable", "Dagon", "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", "Memory", and of course "The Dunwich Horror".

"The Beast in the Cave" might give you some insight into certain aspects of his writing... I love the sotry, and it isn't too long.

also, I'm not sure if "antiquarian and forbidden" are the right words to describe the "knowledge". I mean, his whole mythos was based on fiction, unless if you're going to analyze the racism and bigotry and go down the path Pessimism is talking about (which would be much more interesting)

The Shadow Out Of Time is my favorite.
It kind of fucks you a bit, though, as the character seems to deal pretty well with some craaazy shit until the very end.

It's the one where some dude switches places with an alien from several million years ago. Probably the most atmospheric short story I've ever read.

I'm a fan of Lovecraft, but I can't help you out with your thesis because I never felt Lovecraft's work was especially deep..it was just good horror IMO. Sorry for being a SHUB-NIGGURATH

or Yog Sothoth, Nyarlothotep, Yig, Ithaqa. Hastur, Thsagothua,etc.

Antiquated mumbo-jumbo.The mighty Ancient Ones who speak in tongues, mwuhahaha.

And fyi, Shub-Niggurath is a chick. A multi-headed, multi-eyed, multi-mouthed horribly disfigured monstrosity of the female gender.
Cuddling her Dark Young.
A chick is a chick even in Ryle'h.

His stories can be quite scary, the only one that seriously creeped me out though was The Color Out of Space when I read it at like 2 or 3 in the morning.

Oh, it's that formless puddle of green goo that has physical and magical immunity, and deals big sanity and stamina damage in the Arkham Horror game(the Dunwich expansion.). Man, what a pest.

Forbidden knowledge... I honestly don't like how that statement reads out. Lovecraft was flat out anti-humanist when it came to his mythos, and rooted his horror in the incomprehensibility of extended knowledge, (i..e the knowledge that man reaches for, but will truly never attain or be able to contain). The knowledge itself wasn't prohibited, it was just... maddening.

Lovecraft himself stated this:

The origin of this knowledge comes from the maddening glimpses of "true" reality, and in some cases it is handed down by means of hereditary (remember, he was not only profoundly racist and geopolitical, but also followed many of the theories of racial hierarchy that existed at the time).

One good example of this is the story of "Dagon". Anyway, in this story a man escapes a ship and ends up stranded in the ocean for a period of time, during a point in time he goes unconscious. When he awakes he is ashore and the smell of death is all around him - as he notices the bodies of both fish and creatures that he hopes are fish that have never been discovered. He goes over the landscape and starts climbing, and continues to do so till he gets to a ledge. He notices strange monolithic statues across the chasm and tries to make out the art that is engraved on them (what he see's are deep ones worshiping old one's and greater deep ones, and is trying to figure out if the size comparisons are exaggerated or not (he sees a deep one bigger than a blue whale, etc.); out of the corner of his eye, he spots something moving that is so massive that it it dwarfs the monoliths he was staring at. Just grasping this vision sends him into a frenzy of fear, and he claws at the earth while trying to climb away as fast as he can to the safety of the beached boat he left behind. When he awakes, he is in a room and discovers he was picked up by English soldiers, and then returned home. More than likely he commits suicide shortly after due to his experience (I really don't remember the ending).

Point is though, he only somewhat saw a greater deep one, but because of its nature, its relational difference to accepted reality, his seeing this otherworldly thing - even only partially, was enough to break his mind and send him running in fear of his existence. He didn't go running after knowledge, he merely stumbled upon it.

For your thesis, I think you should focus on the effects of knowledge, as to many character they merely come into the states where knowledge may be discovered - quite easily mind you. You should look at the stories of "The Unnamable", "Dagon", "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", "Memory", and of course "The Dunwich Horror".

"The Beast in the Cave" might give you some insight into certain aspects of his writing... I love the sotry, and it isn't too long.

holy shit man thank you!! i get what you mean, i guess i'm trying to show how he is totally anti-humanist and that we are much inferior compared to so many other things. also i have noticed that he never actually shows/tells about the knowledge or alien things, it's always alluded to or the character just barely glimpses it and then turns mad/runs

also, I'm not sure if "antiquarian and forbidden" are the right words to describe the "knowledge". I mean, his whole mythos was based on fiction, unless if you're going to analyze the racism and bigotry and go down the path Pessimism is talking about (which would be much more interesting)

yeah i understand, i need to figure out some new wordage...but i'm not gonna write my essay trying to prove that he was a bigot haha

i need a way stronger thesis...preferably with some precise points to prove in it, any thoughts? like for my essay on chris mccandless (into the wild dude) it was like "author of blahblahbh shows father son relationships with his own experiences, chris mccnaldessss, and through other case studies"

yeah it was way better than that but i want to have those points where i can go in later and have a couple paragraphs on one thing, couple on another etc.

And fyi, Shub-Niggurath is a chick. A multi-headed, multi-eyed, multi-mouthed horribly disfigured monstrosity of the female gender.
Cuddling her Dark Young.
A chick is a chick even in Ryle'h.

and fyi you are a Shub-Niggurath

Not the last time I checked. Maybe something has changed since last night.

*checks: Nope, everything seems to be intact in the nether-regions.

But don't you worry, mate. Additional heads growth may still ensue.
The rest I'm not sure about.