HS80m vs. M-808v2 vs. VL-X5

M-1000

Nov 22, 2011
Okay, I currently have a pair of Tascam VL-X5's as my main mixing monitors. They are okay, especially considering I got them for $90 from a friend, but I'm noticing that my mixes aren't translating very well and they are very lacking in low end so the low end on my mixes is always guess work at best.

I don't have very much money to drop on new monitors, but I was hoping to get some feedback on my options.

I found a new pair of ikey Audio M-808v2's for $265 (yes, for both). That is well within my price range and I would love it if these monitors were sufficient for my needs. I realize they aren't high end, but right now I just want some noticeable improvement over what I have.

I found a pair of Yamaha HS80m's on Craigslist for $400...that's not exactly in my price range, but I don't want to save $145 and end up with significantly worse monitors.

So, for the money, what do you think is my best option? Has anyone ever had any experience with the ikey Audios? It's very difficult to find info and reviews on those. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm working in a room about 12'X18' (rough estimate) and it is currently untreated (though I have some portable sound absorption panels that I use at the first reflection points). If that affects your answers.

Get some bass traps and treat your room so that it makes the new monitors worth it. The hs80 are great, but they won't go well in an untreated room :)

Maybe my best option would be the m-808v2's and then use the difference to start treating the room? Assuming those aren't really crappy or something...