Monitor Suggestions

roy22341

Aug 23, 2008
Lafayette, LA
The other day I went to listen to the 601, as many people recommened me Tannoy Reveals, and I didn't like them. Bass was nice, but the mids were kinda messy, hard to understand stuff. I compared them with Adam a5x (I know, unfair comparison), but I can't say I liked them :/. I've heard many good things on the hs80m, though.

Hm I had heard generally good things about the Reveals. Duly noted - anybody have any experience with any of CMS products? I've read some good review on the 40s but 4" monitors just seem so small. Not really sure about the a5x for some reason, just a weird feeling abou them. Any other suggestions?

I think it's really, really hard to go wrong with the HS80's. If I could go back in time/had more physical room, I probably would've been better off getting the HS80's instead of my A7's and then saving up for something like Opals in the long run.

I think it's really, really hard to go wrong with the HS80's. If I could go back in time/had more physical room, I probably would've been better off getting the HS80's instead of my A7's and then saving up for something like Opals in the long run.

+ 1

That is how i think of it. I'll stick with my yamaha 80's because they are awesome until i do a biiig jump up to Opals or even more expensive Adam's.

I just picked up a pair of HSM80's and compared to my KRK rokit 8 G2 all I can say is that the yamaha have a flatter response and im digging them! The best part about them is that i got the pair of Yammys for $350.

I love my Reveal 5a's (previous generation, they were $700 for the pair when I got them in late '08 FWIW), doesn't seem like the current generation is quite up to the same level, so I guess I too would vote HS80's as far as current monitors go!

Lotta love for the HS80s I see. I'm just a bit worried about the low end being in such a small room. I am planning on getting some bass traps and room treatment but I'm not sure if smaller monitors would make taming the low end a bit easier or if I should just roll with the 80s and try to treat the room around them.

My vote is for the Tannoys. HS80's do get awesome reviews here and they are worth every penny, but I've heard people also say that the low-end can get a little out of control and I've never had that problem with the Reveals. That said, I think you'll get your moneys-worth from either of these sets of monitors.

+1 so long as you've spent at least half as much on treatment. I can't say I share the love for HS80s based on the 4-5 occasions I've worked with them. Not saying they are not good value, though. Just think about your plans before pulling the trigger. At the time I bought my Adams it just wasn't realistic to decide I'll save up for H300, Barefoots or Opals (they weren't out back then anyway). Whatever you buy make sure you superchunk your corners if at all possible. In fact do it now and thnk about monitors later.

Mackie HRS 120. That thing goes LOW, had the crossover pretty low so it just picked up where the monitors leave off in the low end. The Adam Subs are much nicer though.Less woofy.