Hughes an Kettner and Peaveys

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Do you guys know much about the Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 or Valve Kings

Never herd these amps in Flesh, Just wanted to know your Oppinions on em,

Valve Kings have been popular around here and sound good in the recordings people have posted. H&K doesn't seem to get much respect from anyone, but they are probably decent.

Yeah, I've never once heard a good thing about an H & K for metal - but at least they're expensive! :loco:

I own a Valveking, and really like it. I've never heard anyone say good things about it for metal, but I'm sure glad that good things have been said in this forum. I guess you guys know how to EQ a damn amp properly! I run mine in full A/B mode, in input 1, with the gain boost on, boosting it with an SD-1, and it keeps up with the Engl Invader that's constantly shouting in it's face! I did seem to have issues with the FX loop on mine, though.

Also, the predictive text on my 'phone likes to call it the Valueking, which is quite apt!

A friend of mine has a H&K Trilogy that he runs through a Basson 4x12, and it sounds tits, and great for metal. The trilogy through anything else has just been disappointing when it comes to anything more than hard rock. I played a H&K Warp X at a guitar show once, and it sounded like an absolute animal, but I've been reliably informed that it has absolutely zero cut to it, good recording amp at best.

Valveking over the Warp-7 for sure, if that's what you're asking.

The 2x12 Valveking combo I've played sounded nice, very usable clean channel on it too.

Yeah, I've never once heard a good thing about an H & K for metal - but at least they're expensive!

They make underrated amps for sure. The TriAmps sound killer for most applications (including metal), except for the Lifeson edition which I hear they really made a mess of.

The general consensus is that the Warp 7 is balls, isn't it Solidstate? I've heard good comments about the Trilogy though and Triamp.

see ive used sum H and K stuff before and compared to the valve kings i dug the sound. ive played thru a cpl of different valve kings and couldnt get a decent tone, or a wide range of tones, if you're looking into peavey at an affordable price, id say scrap the valve king idea and get an XXL head, they really do well for an SS and with a bit of curve eq, you can get 5150 esque tones when recording!

the warp series has a solid state head but also has an all tube head.
I recorded a band once who used warp heads. they had the solid state ones and they sounded like shit. luckilly there old guitar player had the tube warp head and was kind enough to lend them his amps (warp + mesa .calibre studio preamp) so we ended up quad tracking 2 tracks tube warp and 2 tracks mesa pre -> warp poweramp, sounded pretty damn good i remember. the band hasn't put the songs online yet i believe, otherwise i could post a link. if i nottice they have them online somewhere i'll post a link