Hughes & Kettner amps

Fabbio

Yoda
Mar 6, 2005
Milano, Italy
Hi guys!!!

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this amps, the only guitar player I ever seen playing one was Alex Lifeson last year.

Are they good for heavy metal?

Have you ever recorded something good with one of these?

Andy, did you tried one or two of these?

I havent realy tried one, but i ahve read a few previews about them. I was under the impression that they were pitched more at teh Nu-Metal/ Tuned down fad of a few years back.......?

Daniel\m/

I tried one of the solid state models and it sounded pretty much like you might expect. Very harsh, no smoothness and no real balls. I can see them being good transparent amps if you use a digital floorboard for your core sounds, but otherwise, I certainly wouldn't touch them.

I like the Triamp and the Tubeman Preamp - but they aren´t good metal amps.

the cheaper solid state models aren't the best but good for the price range, the warp t is a full tube amp, 2 channels, one very good clean and an overdrive channel that's really inspired by the triple recto, but I am not a recto guy so it's no amp for me ;) but it isn't bad and it's cheap, amp with 120 watts and oversized 4x12 cabinet is avaiable for 1300?
the new triology head is nice and I like the Triamp, heard it live at a gig of a local black metal band (not darkthrone style, some melodic parts and some really really heavy slow parts, at some points a bit nevermore style riffing) in connection with an ESP M-II it was great.

Dunno which model it is, but I've seen a few local metal bands playing one (dunno who it belongs to, but it appears someone's kind enough to loan it for gigs). It's some kinda head, lots of blue-ness about it, and that's about all I can say there. :err:

Sound-wise, it seems to hold up ok, but at the same time, I've never found myself thinking, "Damn, I need me one of them!" Doesn't really stand out as sounding amazing, but it kinda just sits there in the mix, from what I've heard of it.

Then again, maybe it needs to be dialed in better. Who knows.