HUMANITY - 20 Questions

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Steve Wallace and I am one of the two lead guitarists in HUMANITY.

Where's the band from?
We come from Cambridge, U.K.

Who're your major influences?
We have been compared to Maiden, Metallica, Paradise Lost (when they were good), Faith No More, and even Pantera.

What's your local scene like?
The local scene is a bit stale. Although we have a good following of supporters, the Cambridge scene revolves around dreary M.O.R Indie and Folk Music.

How can people hear your music?
By coming to our gigs and buying the CD. The CD is titled 'As Humanity Fades', and is also available in Parrot Records in Cambridge. It will also be available on ultimatemetal.com in the near future.

If you could play a gig with 3 other bands, who would it be?
Probably Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Pantera.

What's your best gig memory?
Performing at Cambridge Junction in front of 200 metallers, the night after BLAZE played there. We even got his dressing room. How cool is that!

What's your worst?
Probably a charity festival we did in Bury St Edmunds one time. No-one turned up. Well, no-one exept our parents.

Would you describe your sound as Hot or Cold?
I would describe our sound as Hot. Imagine Paradise Lost and Metallica in a fight with Pantera and Faith No More shouting abuse. With actual vocals and not screaming and growling, and melodic keyboard hooks. Get the idea?

What are you plans for the future?
To bring proper British Metal back into the mainstream where it truly deserves to be.

What song of yours should people listen to before any other?
Difficult one. I think 'As Humanity Fades' is a good representation of what we do.

If a label said they'd sign you for a 10 album, multi-million £ deal, providing you got rid of one of your members (you can choose!), would you do it?
Probably not. If we were going to get rid of anyone, we would get rid of them on our own terms for our own reasons.

What's your favourite album of all time, and why?
My personal favourite album of all time is Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets'. The most phenomenal album I have ever bought. There is not a bad song anywhere on it and each one is a classic.

What was the main reason you became a musician?
My Dad was into rock music, and he started me off on bands like Black Sabbath. When I discovered Iron Maiden I took up guitar and I have been a musician ever since.

How would you like to be remembered?
As the band who remimded the world that Metal is still well and truly alive and will never die.

What's the first word that comes to mind when you see the word MANOWAR!
4 sweaty old blokes who used to ponce around with big hair, baby oil and fake tans and sing songs about dungeons and dragons. HA!HA!HA! They're probably all lorry drivers now.

What one location in the world would you love to play a gig at?
Wembley Staduim. Where else?

What do you think of the current metal magazines? Which rock, and which are shit?
To be honest, they're aren't many magazines left that feature any decent metal bands. They're all aimed at 13 year old school kids who are trying to be rebellious, tell everyone they hate their parents and who go skateboarding. Since when was metal associated with skateboarding? I suppose it's because the youngsters cant afford Harley's and can't drink beer! As far as good magazines go, Classic Rock isn't bad, but they don't normally
feature any bands I personally like. The shit magazines are stuff like Kerrang!, who feature the same old bands every week and are only aimed at dirty Grebs!

Tell us 3 good reasons why people should listen to you?
People should listen to us because we are original, we sound like no other band in the mainstream metal market, and we are a refreshing change from all the Nu Metal bands polluting the charts.

Any message for your fans and the UM masses?
Keep coming to the shows, keep listening, and we promise you more good, all out metal! The band website is coming soon...

Good article! Really interesting stuff, all the band members are lovely & their C.D rocks! Okay so i'm Steve's sister, but i'm being honest!

Steve here from HUMANITY. I'd completely forgotten I'd written this until Russ agreed to interview the band again!!

Keep a look out over the next few weeks for a brand new HUMANITY interview on ultimatemetal.com.

Also, check out our website at www.humanity6.co.uk for all the latest news.

To order a copy of the debut album 'WHEN SILENCE CALLS', visit our label site at www.carbon13.co.uk.

I saw you guys at Bloodstock - You fucking rocked! Definitely the best up and coming band there. Should be picking up your album soon, so good luck in the future and stuff.