(v.e.g.a.) - 20 Questions

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Who are you and what do you do (in the band)?

I’m Dheli. Composer of all the music of the band. I play the guitars and the synthesizers. I also sing together with Janos, the drummer. The other member is Kroman, the bassplayer.

Where's the band from?

We are Italian (from Turin), but I’m the only one in the band who lives in Italy. The other two live in Oslo, Norway. Janos plays also in another band under Earache called Lunaris.

Who're your major influences?

Mysticum, Ved Buens Ende, Burzum, Ulver, Emperor, Neurosis, Manes, Shining, Katatonia, Dodheimsgard .. these are some of the names of the bands that influenced the composing of this album, but definitely not the only bands I like the most!

What's your local scene like?

I really don’t care about the scene.. I’m not interested anymore in black metal with the exception of the bands I named and few others.. these genre can develop in many forms I will love some of them and hate the others .. this is not important ..it’s only music and it’s not the only one music.. this is for sure!! The only Italian band I like is Devil Doll. Everyone should check them out.. However, I do not share anything with any scene.. we make music for the hearts.. wherever they come from.

How can people hear your music?

People can’t until the album won’t be complete. The promo that someone could have listened to somewhere is not the official version of the album. None of those songs will appear on the official release.

If you could play a gig with 3 other bands, who would it be?

Mysticum. The Delta and Neurosis

What's your best gig memory?

We never played live.

Would you describe your sound as Hot or Cold?

We paint the cold with flaming fire.

What are you plans for the future?

Have a deal with a label which believes in our music and appreciates our open-mind mentality …and make Cocaine the album I never found in black metal.

What song of yours should people listen to before any other?

First I should end the composition of all tracks…I’m still at half the work. All the songs will be really intense. Some of them very very fast and others really sick.. we have too many influences to make a song which sounds only one way.. I think the album could have a sense only if the listener is going to “dream” through all of its chapters.

If a label said they'd sign you for a 10 album, multi-million £ deal, providing you got rid of one of your members (you can choose!), would you do it?

I couldn’t play this kind of music without my drumer.. so absolutely no!

What's your favourite album of all time, and why?

“Painting on glass” by The Third and the Mortal. I can dissolve myself in total darkness.

What was the main reason you became a musician?

Cause there is another world in me that is deeper and wider of the one outside me…I can’t just fall inside of myself and feel complete.. I probably would kill myself cause I would never return from the inside.. so I’ve found this way: with music I can recreate what’s inside of me and live better through this…To me composing is like … well, think to a statue in a forlorn garden …and now see it dancing…just feel alive!

How would you like to be remembered?

As a poet among the ruins of his realm.

What's the first word that comes to mind when you see the word MANOWAR!

NO COMMENT!!!!

What one location in the world would you love to play a gig at?

Island

What do you think of the current metal magazines? Which rock, and which are shit?

I’m not interested in any band which is usually on these magazines cause I hate Heavy Metal and all those stupid scenes for kids. Find me a magazine who talks about Edward Kaspel and his band “The Legendary Pink Dots”! I’ll read it!

Tell us 3 good reasons why people should listen to you?

I think this album could interest someone who’s in the black metal scene…It’s going to be very extreme especially for the vocals and the atmosphere which will be really breathtaking and claustrophobic but with moments of pure celestial pleasure…I really don’t know which kind of audience we could have. However if you care about emotions and if you are mad enough you’ll check us out…But remember: this is acid not fucking headbanging in a metal pub…got it??

Any message for your fans and the UM masses?

Just this: if Cocaine could be associated to black metal this doesn’t mean the next album by Vacuum Era Gelid Atmosphere couldn’t be a dreamy trip-hop one, or a prog-psychedelic-avantgarde-rock album or the heaviest trance-industrial-terror music (as The Delta mixed with Propergol), or more probably a soundtrack to a psychotic film.. who could say? … ONLY MADNESS..