Huntress - Starbound Beast

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I tried hard to like the first Huntress album but in the end it didn't do much for me. Here's a new song written by Lemmy apparently from their new album. Sounds a bit better than the previous CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
the whole album is leaps and bounds better than the debut. A greater emphasis on vocal melodies and harmonies and Maiden/Priest type NWOBHM influence.

I liked the first one okay, digging the new "Lemmy" song, haven't picked up the cd yet though. Maybe next Tuesday at the Amon Amarth show, looking forward to seeing the guys (and Jill!) live...

I loved the debut, it was one of my favorites from last year, and while the new one is still good and has some great songs, it's unlikely to crack my top 10 this year. "I Want to Fuck You To Death" is one reason why, and "Destroy Your Life" isn't too great either. I would probably like the songs on this one more overall if I wasn't comparing them to "Eight of Swords" and "Senicide".

IMHO, this is a much better example of what Huntress can do as far as songwriting goes. Constant energy and tension all the way through to that impressive high note in the chorus. Can't wait to see this baby live.

I also agree that the only reason Huntress is popular is because of how Jill Janus looks/acts/pretends to be. Their music is subpar at its best.

I liked them live, caught their show last night. I don't think people should take ALL metal so seriously...yeah, the music and presentation isn't the most intellectual, but sometimes you just need to put in the player a few of these types of bands so your brain doesn't have to be so engaged. See Alestorm, et al. It's like watching the movie Airplane late at night when you're going to bed, you don't need to think about it, just sit back and enjoy. As far as the vox, I'm not surprised to see so many in this forum turned off, a place where black and death vox are for the most part slagged. I just don't see this band as being all that bad, a good middle-of-the-roader if you will.

I liked them live, caught their show last night. I don't think people should take ALL metal so seriously...yeah, the music and presentation isn't the most intellectual, but sometimes you just need to put in the player a few of these types of bands so your brain doesn't have to be so engaged. See Alestorm, et al. It's like watching the movie Airplane late at night when you're going to bed, you don't need to think about it, just sit back and enjoy. As far as the vox, I'm not surprised to see so many in this forum turned off, a place where black and death vox are for the most part slagged. I just don't see this band as being all that bad, a good middle-of-the-roader if you will.

I don't think anyone here is complaining that they're not serious. The problem with Huntress is that their songwriting is bad.

Also, for the record, there's a lot of people around here (in fact, most in this thread I think) who enjoy black and death vocals.

And for the record, Airplane rocks. :lol:

I don't think anyone here is complaining that they're not serious.
I'm a Manowar fanboy. "Serious" is not a deal-breaker.

The problem with Huntress is that their songwriting is bad.
This. They're not awful, they're just not very good. As I said, I just think their level of success is more a factor of Jill's appearance than the band's talents. And I don't blame her for putting it out there... if you got it, flaunt it. That said, if your music can't back it up than people are going to call it what it is.

Also, for the record, there's a lot of people around here (in fact, most in this thread I think) who enjoy black and death vocals.
True dat.

There are also some who don't, like me. Vocals in Huntress kill it for me, even though the songs are not that great to start with. I heard the new album and the best song is the Priest cover, where the vox is fine...

Yeah I think I heard this on satellite radio the other day. Wasn't impressed.

I heard "I Want to Fuck You To Death" a while back, when they announced their team up with Lemmy. I mean hell, who am I to judge? I wrote "Kill That Bitch" as a joke song, and people STILL don't get the joke. I'm not sure how serious they want to be taken with their songwriting, maybe they just do this kind of thing for fun. Kinda like Powerwolf.

All this being said, I'm not a fan either, but I kinda wish I could be because I feel almost obligated to stand up for my fellow women. Most of the time.

I prefer this band, as recommended to me by my buddy Justin (aka mosquito): BATTLE BEAST.

Some true heavy metal with an awesome female vocalist that isn't boobs>vox: