Hypocrisy - Catch 22

[0hr]Sunlapse

Wraith
Oct 1, 2002
Rumson, NJ
www.getyourasstomars.com
8.6/10

Catch 22 was my first experience with Hypocrisy. I had only heard about the band and that they were very good, and so I decided to grab this album when I saw it at a record store. Thankfully, it turned out to be a great album that sparked my interest in Hypocrisy. What we have here is a combination of agressive, straight-foward headbanging material, grand catchy anthems, and some more somber moments. Peter Tagtgren is a great vocalist, he delivers a diverse and awesome sounding preformance throughout the album. The album is also produced quite well, the guitars are thick and meaty and create a nice wall of sound.

"Don't Judge Me" is a fairly short agressive blast with a manic vocal preformance, a really good tune, it rocks. "Destroyed" is one of those anthem tracks. Agressive verses, but the chorus will be stuck in your head constantly for days. "On the Edge of Madness" has some cool piano in it and an awesome chorus as well. "A Public Puppet" is a less melodic and more agressive track than the previous two, it has an awesome bridge and guitar solo, and the rest of the song rocks as well. "Uncontrolled" has a very steady mid-tempo feel with yet another great chorus. "Turn the Page" combines Don't Judge Me's fast aggresive style with a melodic chorus. "Hatred" starts out agressive like the others, then goes into a melodic chorus, which then goes into an equally powerful section. "Another Dead End for Another Dead Man" is a great thrashy song, very catchy as well. "Seeds of the Chosen One" is my favorite song on the album. Very steady mid tempo groove, very melodic, and the chorus is absolutely soaring. Very anthem-like, I'd love to hear this live. "All Turns Black" is another highlight, very emotional and sad sounding, great singing, an excellent way to end.

Most of the songs have very steady and straightfoward beats that really add to the headbanging factor, its a very catchy album that know its job isn't to be over complex, but just to kick ass. I could have used a couple more guitar solos, only a few songs have them, but it really doesn't matter as the songs are good enough that I didn't really notice.

An excellent album, it got me into this great band.

Psychonaut said:
Sorry this is your first experience with Hypocrisy as this is easily their worst. Try Abduction, The Abyss, Penetralia, or the self-titled for a real taste of what Peter is capable of.

I agree with this...I like The Abyss alot, but unfortunately my CD is scratched as hell and alot of songs don't work. Catch 22 isn't as good as their other stuff. :)