Steel Prophet-Beware

Pabla

The Devil Wears Maiden
Apr 18, 2004
LA
Steel Prophet
“Beware”-2004-Massacre Records(Europe,Canada,Australia)Nightmare Records(USA)Megahard Records(South America)

Versions:
European-Will include bonus DVD with live footage as well as the vid for "Leatherette"
US-Will include a bonus 2nd disc "Eyes of the Prophet"(Visions Past)-2004 rarities

For more information and audio samples: www.steelprophet.com

Beware.gif

Before I commence on reviewing SP’s new effort I must be honest and admit that it was a frightening experience, as I did not know what to expect. Many times it is “traumatic” for fans when the vocalist is replaced after so many years of cultivating a certain sound. Hence, people tend to be reluctant as to trying to embrace the “new sound”. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by Nadir’s vocal abilities on this album, which made it an easier transition process. Granted Nadir possesses a lower toned voice then Rick, but it works quite nicely with the way the music is written and yes the “high” notes are reached quite effortlessly, so no need to panic in that regard.
Now with that point out of the way….

1.Heavenly-What a way to jumpstart the album! Nice driving beat at the beginning, sung in an “anthem” type way and plenty of hooks for a “sing-along fest”. It’s hyper-type, power-metal chorus driven by a mixture of trash and power musical arrangements make it a power-punch opener.

2. Beware- Begins with a “doom” type background giving it a good intro vibe and then kicks off "trashy" mode with a certain flair of "punk spunk". Slows down a bit only to build up and get in “your face” again, tempos are great.

3.Transfusion Vamp-Has an "industrial" feel at the beginning and then proceeds to full heavy and crunchy riffing. Nadir's vocals are thrown up "high" in this tune, works well with the crunchy texture of the song, a definite highlight within the album.

4.Leatherette-Another great driving and full of energy start. Mid paced with vocals that flow very well. The combination of a softer chorus and the contrast of the harsher sounding parts surrounding the song deliver a different mix of harmonies. Solo is very melodic and catchy.

5.Angels- Nice bass intro, distorted guitars pick up right on cue. This song has a definite "doom" feel to it, which is later reinstated by the backing vocals. After a smooth twist the song takes a different route with more “hyper” sounding musical arrangements and then slows down again, giving off a great “soaring” taste.

6.Killing Machines- Driven by “speed” drumming accompanied by great riffs it’s a great “fight” anthem. Very “doom” oriented.

7.You are my life-The only ballad within the album; very slow start which eventually builds up.

8.Lost my way- Crushing!!! Vocals are great and music is superb, harmonies change so effortlessly to the softer and harder parts of this composition. Chorus is powerful and very catchy. The guitar ending on this piece is very peculiar and Seventies oriented, but it works.

9.Political greed-"Ugly" (in a good way), highly aggressive and angry with a combination of "punk, trash" spunk to it. Mosh anybody?

10.Moosilauke Cascade- Instrumental. Slows down album to a clean finish.

An overall great album with a very diverse musical flavor which makes Steel Prophet once again discard the usual and relentless label of just “power metal”. Fans will definitely embrace it, as it is a very heavy and solid offering with tons of hooks and catchy memorable moments. The evolution transition was great!

*On a side note, this is my first review ever :D