Steel Prophet - "Beware"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Finally I'm able to truly review an album before is available, so my wallet is very happy with me (thanks to the anonymous donations via sharing, oh my the RIAA is pissed, look at me I'm shaking :lol: )

Steel Prophet has been around for quite awhile, a US band that forge a sound heavily influenced by Iron Maiden. With the core of Rick Mythiasin (v), Steve Katchinsky (g), and Vince Dennis (b) (no black metal jokes here please :twist ), the band passed to a couple of small financed album (from which the second "Into The Void" is a jewel) until Nuclear Blast took them under their wings, after 4 albums and several lineup changes, the frictions between Katchinsky and Mythiasin came to a flashpoint and Mythiasin left to Taraxacum (before that a side project) and also to hel New Eden and the Redemption project. While we won his voice for all those albums, SP seemed to came to a dead end. Nevertheless, Steve and Vince recruited a new guitar Pete Skermetta ( who I believe left after the recording?), and old friend on drums (Kevin Cafferty, who played in "Messiah") and a new singer Nadir D'Priest. Immediately everybody begun to shake, the new frontman seemed pretty inadequate due to his record (London, D'Priest :guh: ). Basically it seems the band was going down the drain or to tour with Metallica :yow:

So "Beware" the new album (Massacre in Europe + DVD, Nightmare in US + extra CD), came finally to the light (or almost since I'm waiting for the US version) and is quite a surprise.
First forget about Rick, this is a new singer and the rules are different. Like Maiden and Judas before we have to value the new guy on his own merits, and after that we can praise or bash or being indifferent (like Blaze and Ripper can testify).
'Heavenly': starts pounding fast and energetic, immediately I though I was maybe listenning to Jag Panzer. No is not a critic or a praise, just that now Steel Prophet reminds me a lot of the rest of the American power bands, again nothing bad just a commentary.
The advantage here for Steel Prophet is that they never were a BIG band, so is not that their sound is a trademark that cannot be compromise. Nadir sings very good and the music is not weak, poppy, mallcorish or anything but metal. The songs change to the middle to a faster tempo, speedy and almost tharshy and goes like that to the end. Definitively a good opener that fusions into the next one.

'Beware': following a very tipical SP format, this song starts from a blending with the previous one. Same energy and pace the title track keeps the listener interested and glad that the band still have it to deliver.
More I hear, more I believe they now are more speedier than average power. Also they sound tighter IMO, the pounding of the drums is fast and relentless, not a metronome but very tight. Guitars are tone down too (to my ears). But somehow the mid-song loose a bit in the vocal chorus.

'Transfusion Vamp': again the last song blends into a frenetic intro, like if they try to play faster every new song. Then a change to a powerful mid-pace riffing, with lead balls. Nadir keeps delivering good, no flaws so far. The only thing that "annoys" me a bit is that the band had compromised some melody for more energy, which maybe is good but it took me for surprise. I guess it reflects some of Katchisnky inner rage (after the whole Mythiasin affair), is just a guess since Steve is the main composer usually (they call me a transfussion vamp, oh yeah. Yes I am, yes I am, pretty catchy). The vocals get a bit of a higher pitch, not forced but not very clean either.

'Leatherette': the pounding continues. The band wants to show that there's no lost love here, just energy and rawness. Nadir so far has won his wings with flying colors, the band can carry on. Then the chorus starts with a nice flavor that for some reason reminded me of Grim Reaper (don't ask is just me :D ), the guitars soloing is nice and fast, yet melodic. Again so far the album puts to shame some big names that came with an album this year. Slipwho? Gimme a break, hey pretty boy come hear and clean the earwax, this is METAL. ( Lord, I miss the times with chains and leatherette :headbang: )

'Angels': see this what I got for opening my mouth! The song opens with a weird drumming tempo, becomes heavy and raw and keeps the tempo low, but not doom enough. The vocals start pretty pathetic, like a very bad Memento Mori song I'll say (if something like that exist). Boring up to minute 3:00 where it takes impulse, the song catches on with the previous ones up to 4:15 where again turns doomish, and then a good solo that fades to the end (6:47), the probable filler.

'Killing Machines': right now the music reminds me more and more to Jag Panzer or even Nevermore, but unlike the latter the vocals are better (IMO). Maybe a bit repetitive in the offering, I guess a change will be nice at this point to balance the album..or matbe not depending who you are.

'You Are My Life (gypsy mind)': Oh, here it comes the aforementionated change. And is a counterpoint, the music tries to evoke 'Passage Of Time (Amber leaves)', but sadly Nadir vocals are not made for melodic power ballads. I picture this song with Klaus Meine, Rick Mythiasin, Dio, not this guy. Lacks emotion and passion for this music. The songs accelerates again up to the end, but :confused:

'Lost My Way': the same formula, powerful riff/pounding drumming. Don't get me wrong is not bad, but I miss some of the melodic change of the old albums. Still is way better like this, than some of weak proposals out there.

'Political greed (petrol man)': no surprises except some distorted samplers, then speed/thrash emotion. Nadir vocals are angered, the song is probably the one they recorded after a very bad day, because is full of I'm pissed attitude, yet the solo is melodic and passionate.

'Moosilauke Cascade': the end comes in the form of an instrumental (a 2:07 minutes song), just a outro basically.

Not bad, not bad. Considering all the neagtive vibe surrounding D'Priest joining the band, and the weakness of the previous album this one is an angry comeback that I bet Mustaine is pissed he didn't made it :devil:

Hmm I guess my wallet is not going to be happy after all :loco:

I so agree with you Wy...I love this album, it's very heavy and catchy at the same time. I've been stuck on it for weeks now, and I also agree with you regarding the ballad...that's the only weak song, and yes I do skip it...otherwise a great album!
My favs in order:
1.Transfusion Vamp
2.Lost my way
3.Leatherette
Oh, and Pete has not left the band.

Walter_Langkowski said:
Very cool to hear!

I actually really enjoyed the last two Steel Prophet albums quite a bit, especially Book Of The Dead, so I'm glad that they're getting back to business with a good album.
I think Book of the Dead is genious, love everything about that album...lyrics, vocals, musical arrangements...I have no complaints about that one :headbang:

Ooops! Forgot to mention that I found the DVD version of Beware @ theendrecords.com for $15 for anyone who is interested.

Pabla said:
Ooops! Forgot to mention that I found the DVD version of Beware @ theendrecords.com for $15 for anyone who is interested.
Yes I saw it too, but I prefer the US version that carries the "Visions Past" CD with special songs and demos(?).

@Madcheese: I respect your view, but I do like 'Oleander' as weird as it sounds is just that what makes it interesting inside the album. Same we can say about 'Whorehouse Blues' in "Inferno" (Motorhead), or 'Black Sheep Of The Family' in WTOEAW (Malmsteen). Sometimes the weird song of the album is the hidden jewel :D

So do I, now I hope they sent it right
44.gif

A Journeys End said:
New Steel Prophet!?!?! Sweet!

Yep, and man it is gooddddddddddddddd :headbang:
I think I will order both version as I only have the promo. Wyvern good luck on getting your copy :)