Are there any Steel Prophet fans here?

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
A poor man's Fates Warning, yet pretty cool underground American metal. An interesting family tree too. One of their old guitarist ended up creating New Eden whcih eventually fragmented into two groups; New Eden and Destiny's End.

Then Steel Prophet's vocalist leaves, ends upworking with Redemption project, now is the vocalist for New Eden!

Steel Prophet gets Nadir D'Priest for a vocalist, interesting choice. Some old enough to remember may remember him from the Decline of the Western Civilaization pt. 2, he was the frontman for London. He also had a release under D'Priest on Noise Records.

London had Nikki Sixx at one time...

Yep. Great, underrated U.S. power/progressive metal band (more influenced by the traditional Maidenesque style than the Euro speed style). Dark Hallunications is a great cd, I'm also a big fan of their very hard to find early catalogue including the Inner Ascendence Demo (later reissued), The Goddess Principle, the awesome Continuum EP and Into the Void.

The later releases tend to bore me a bit more (Messiah, Book of the Dead, and Unseen), though Book of the Dead does have some killer tracks (Like "When 6 Was 9).

Haven't heard the new one (Beware) yet.

I too prefer their earlier stuff. Inner Ascedance demo and "Goddess Principle" album. Much more inspired material than their late albums. I am still searching for their first demo, people tell me that its better than "Inner Ascedance".

IOfTheStorm said:
I too prefer their earlier stuff. Inner Ascedance demo and "Goddess Principle" album. Much more inspired material than their late albums. I am still searching for their first demo, people tell me that its better than "Inner Ascedance".
Ah, that would be the extremely rare "Visions of Force" demo from 1988. I would love to find a copy of this as well; however, the following info may be of assistance as the demo contains the following tracks:

1. Parthenogenesis (Found on "The Goddess Principle")

2. The Revenant (Found on "Into the Void")

3. Eyes of the Night

4. Reign of Christ (Found on "The Goddess Principle")

5. Firestarter (Found on the "Eyes of the Prophet" (Visions Past) collection incuded as a bonus cd on the new "Beware" album)

6. Sungazer (Found on "Continuum")

Dark One said:
Ah, that would be the extremely rare "Visions of Force" demo from 1988. I would love to find a copy of this as well; however, the following info may be of assistance as the demo contains the following tracks:

1. Parthenogenesis (Found on "The Goddess Principle")

2. The Revenant (Found on "Into the Void")

3. Eyes of the Night

4. Reign of Christ (Found on "The Goddess Principle")

5. Firestarter (Found on the "Eyes of the Prophet" (Visions Past) collection incuded as a bonus cd on the new "Beware" album)

6. Sungazer (Found on "Continuum")
Yeah make sure if you getthe new one that you get the domestic. For once, the domestic has better shit than the import!!! A 2nd disc!

Papa Josh said:
Yeah make sure if you getthe new one that you get the domestic. For once, the domestic has better shit than the import!!! A 2nd disc!
Definitely. But the Euro version does have a bonus DVD (not sure of the other contents, but it includes a video for "Leatherette" (the 1st single). I'd definitely rather have the bonus cd though. (although only 3 of the 10 tracks on the bonus cd are songs I've never heard - most tracks coming from albums I already have).

General Zod said:
"When 6 was 9" is my favorite SP song.

Zod
Yeah, that track is definitely one of the huge exceptions to the rule on The Book of The Dead. One of my favorites as well - the vocal melody Rick Mythiasin uses on the verses (especially the verse after the 1st chorus) is jaw dropping.

"The days I woke with resolve...... to do an act with MEEEEEEEEEANING.......". Just incredible.

EDIT - Ironically, out of many great tracks, my favorite Steel Prophet song is "The Apparition" - a Fates Warning cover found at the end of the Dark Hallucinations album. This may be the greatest cover song I've ever, ever heard. They do such a tremendous job with it you'd think it's their own song, completely blowing the already strong original out of the water.