Hypocrisy Interview - Annhilation of Wicked

dude, that guy needs some journalism skills.

I mean, even an amatuer knows how to turn a boring 'yes/no' question into something where you can at least get a sentence of insight from the artist.

and what a way to put the icing on a 'I have no clue about journalism' cake -- "What’s the one question you would have wished someone would have asked about the album that has yet to be asked?"

"um, if you had my job, what would you have done which I'm too stupid to do..."

probably the worst interview I've read all year.

Maybe you could be a little less blunt, because Karma in Black was the interviewer. :) Yes, the interview was a little dry, but thanks anyway, it was interesting.

Zack said:
Maybe you could be a little less blunt, because Karma in Black was the interviewer. :) Yes, the interview was a little dry, but thanks anyway, it was interesting.

ever heard the saying "Harsh words are the only way to wake people up."?

I mean, if the guy wants to do interviews with big bands, then he should welcome critique so that he might do a good job some day.

it just seems like he asked questions we already know the answers to, I don't think he considered what readers might be interested in. and he was constantly putting words in the guys mouth, it was just terrible.

Karma: And having said that now that you dropped the alien subject matter do you think you will reach a different target audience now that lyrical content has changed?

Peter: Yeah, I just did what I felt like. I didn’t think if it would less sells or more sells, I just wanted to write about.

I particularly hated that part. What an insulting question, it's like he's implying they 'dropped' their style to appeal to a new market.

I mean hell, he could have asked about reaching a wider audience in correlation with the 'It is the perfect mixture of newer and older Hypocrisy.' remark, suggesting that people who like different styles might be more likely to be introduced to them, and he could have even asked are they getting a lot of new fans, people of whom Virus was the first they heard of Hypocrisy... who knows.

and then he could have raised that they've not only changed the focus of their themes ( there was still alien mention even cover art, so it's not like they did 'drop the subject' thinking it might reach a new 'target audience') but they have also included a lyrics booklet for the first time, is there a correlation between the new topics and sharing the lyrics finally? do they have any future plans to release older lyrics? I guess we'll never know.

Karma: …particularly “Bloodrenched”. Were there any specific events that led you to create these lyrics?

why pick out one of your own significance? I mean, 'we're just living to die' could have had some specific events to base it on, or Scrutinized which seems as much about alien ideas as government conspiracy, it could be based on some 'event' -- so why not ask 'is there any song that was particularly based on specific events' and then OMFGAZ heres an idea, let the musician share what he thinks is the one most worth talking about -- he mighta had a good story about the inspiration for one of the songs, but we'll never know since Karma felt it fit to single out one song arbitrarily

then he gets stumped, like he didn't prepare for the interview at all

Karma: What’s the one question you would have wished someone would have asked about the album that has yet to be asked?

I mean, hell, even if you don't know the band, there are a lot of questions you could ask, you don't expect him to come up with something you should have.

which song is your favourite? what makes it really special to you

being a guitarist and producer, have you ever been inclined to leave a song without vocals and really give the music a moment to shine on its own? or do you consider vocals to be part of the music rather than separate from it (is that why lyrics seem to have been less sifnificant as far as past albums have gone, or am I wrong to assume they're more important now that you're releasing the lyrics - did you just add the lyrics booklet because so many fans have asked you to? -- dig deeper....)

the bonus song on virus is from the catch 22 recording sessions isn't it? do you have a lot of demos and b-sides recorded which you just aren't happy with yet?

were there any songs done in the virus recording session which the band didn't feel made the cut for virus?

I think the short solo on A Thousand Lies is absolutely beautiful, do you have a favourite riff on the album that you knew would be a hit the second you first played it?

is there any part of all the work you put in for the band (writing lyrics, singing, guitaring, producing) that you find particularly challenging or enjoyable?

you've now got a new drummer, and virus is a mastery of all the styles hypocrisy have offered over the years, do you have any plans for artists or instruments to experiment with in the future or are you happy with the way everything is coming together as it is?

do you have any idea how you'll top this album next year, or are you just happy to tour and enjoy its success first hand for a before looking to the future?

I mean come on... I'm tired as fuck, about to go to sleep, and I just pulled all that out of my ass

Seditious said:
ever heard the saying "Harsh words are the only way to wake people up."?

I mean, if the guy wants to do interviews with big bands, then he should welcome critique so that he might do a good job some day.

it just seems like he asked questions we already know the answers to, I don't think he considered what readers might be interested in. and he was constantly putting words in the guys mouth, it was just terrible.

Karma: And having said that now that you dropped the alien subject matter do you think you will reach a different target audience now that lyrical content has changed?

Peter: Yeah, I just did what I felt like. I didn’t think if it would less sells or more sells, I just wanted to write about.

I particularly hated that part. What an insulting question, it's like he's implying they 'dropped' their style to appeal to a new market.

I mean hell, he could have asked about reaching a wider audience in correlation with the 'It is the perfect mixture of newer and older Hypocrisy.' remark, suggesting that people who like different styles might be more likely to be introduced to them, and he could have even asked are they getting a lot of new fans, people of whom Virus was the first they heard of Hypocrisy... who knows.

and then he could have raised that they've not only changed the focus of their themes ( there was still alien mention even cover art, so it's not like they did 'drop the subject' thinking it might reach a new 'target audience') but they have also included a lyrics booklet for the first time, is there a correlation between the new topics and sharing the lyrics finally? do they have any future plans to release older lyrics? I guess we'll never know.

Karma: …particularly “Bloodrenched”. Were there any specific events that led you to create these lyrics?

why pick out one of your own significance? I mean, 'we're just living to die' could have had some specific events to base it on, or Scrutinized which seems as much about alien ideas as government conspiracy, it could be based on some 'event' -- so why not ask 'is there any song that was particularly based on specific events' and then OMFGAZ heres an idea, let the musician share what he thinks is the one most worth talking about -- he mighta had a good story about the inspiration for one of the songs, but we'll never know since Karma felt it fit to single out one song arbitrarily

then he gets stumped, like he didn't prepare for the interview at all

Karma: What’s the one question you would have wished someone would have asked about the album that has yet to be asked?

I mean, hell, even if you don't know the band, there are a lot of questions you could ask, you don't expect him to come up with something you should have.

which song is your favourite? what makes it really special to you

being a guitarist and producer, have you ever been inclined to leave a song without vocals and really give the music a moment to shine on its own? or do you consider vocals to be part of the music rather than separate from it (is that why lyrics seem to have been less sifnificant as far as past albums have gone, or am I wrong to assume they're more important now that you're releasing the lyrics - did you just add the lyrics booklet because so many fans have asked you to? -- dig deeper....)

the bonus song on virus is from the catch 22 recording sessions isn't it? do you have a lot of demos and b-sides recorded which you just aren't happy with yet?

were there any songs done in the virus recording session which the band didn't feel made the cut for virus?

I think the short solo on A Thousand Lies is absolutely beautiful, do you have a favourite riff on the album that you knew would be a hit the second you first played it?

is there any part of all the work you put in for the band (writing lyrics, singing, guitaring, producing) that you find particularly challenging or enjoyable?

you've now got a new drummer, and virus is a mastery of all the styles hypocrisy have offered over the years, do you have any plans for artists or instruments to experiment with in the future or are you happy with the way everything is coming together as it is?

do you have any idea how you'll top this album next year, or are you just happy to tour and enjoy its success first hand for a before looking to the future?

I mean come on... I'm tired as fuck, about to go to sleep, and I just pulled all that out of my ass

I agree with this post 100%. Wouldn't you agree that this is more productive than this is the worst interview I've read all year?

Zack said:
I agree with this post 100%. Wouldn't you agree that this is more productive than this is the worst interview I've read all year?

lol. well, that was true tho, but yeh, I thought I may as well be a little more constructive.:heh:

Haha, Read her interviews with COB, they are much better

Shamateur said:
Seditious
Why you consider hidden bonus track from "Virus" to be from "Catch 22" sessions?

I think it was mentioned on this forum months ago (possibly in an interview someone linked)

Seditious

Yeah! I listened to it more attentively and found that guitars sound like on "Catch 22".
It's very interesting did they replay it in 2005 or is it original from 2002?

Shamateur said:
Seditious

Yeah! I listened to it more attentively and found that guitars sound like on "Catch 22".
It's very interesting did they replay it in 2005 or is it original from 2002?

dunno aye, knowing Peters production skills he coulda just outdone himself remastering it or something