I AM A FRAUD!!! Don'cha know...

I have to be honest with everyone, I am a big Dave McKean fan, and its the mass media style of design that he does is what attracted me to Trav to begin with. The differences I see, is Daves work is more "in your face" and up front. Almost cold looking. Trav has a sense of depth and emotion in his work that I don't see in art often enough. His style, to me, is pure from his heart. You can see he has a love for it, and he puts himself in every piece he does. I have used to the talents of Trav on our last two CDs, and when I speak to him on the concept, he has given me work that has far surpassed my vision. I design myself, I've created many covers for bands, including for my own, but I will continue to use Travis for my own bands work from this point on, because I consider it to to be a perfect compliment to our music, our vibe, and our emotion. I know this last piece he did for me was a bit difficult due to the subject matter and the personal story that goes with it, but it's more then exactly what the project needed. I almost see it as this.... In my lyrics, I tell a story, and Trav is the illustrator for my words. I don't think anyone else, not even Dave McKean could capture the exactness of what i'm trying to say in an image. It's very true, the old saying, "A picture speaks a thousand words". So anyone that would have the uneducated eye to say Travis is "Ripping off" other designers, is just plain wrong.

That's my opinion, and im sticking to it.

Paul
Novembers Doom

Hey Trav

I was also speaking to Niklas Sundin about it and he showed me one of the e-mails, as well as the one he sent you about his band ( WHY?? WHY???) lol

Well that's indeed something really weird and something not to worry about. As a visual person of course one is apt to take in every visual input and then interpret it in his own way. IT is often tha case that exactly the way you blend everything together makes your personal mark.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My answer would be how can you explain the fact that you can spot a Travis Smith cover easily? Of course just because they're so unique!!

Just keep up the great work!!!!

(and have a look at my site for feedback, lol!)